Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructors are actors and online course can be a movie

These days younger people love to work with computer. Online courses with a good design can stimulate them even better than a real classroom and live instructor.

Anatoliy:
I offer two questions on the last sentence of your response.

Question 1
Do you believe that the computer is an adequate substitute for the synergy that is generated in a face-to-face classroom environment?

Question 2
Provide two examples of instructional situations in which a properly designed online course will be more stimulating than one that is Instructor-led.
Satrohan

Yes I do think that computer can substitute old fashion teaching and synergy , on one condition of course! Students must be comfortable with computer and willing to work with a computer course. Younger students are better.

Cartoon caracters and adding games can bestimulating and fun for the above mentioned students. Many students have stage fright but they are very comfortable to chatonline and theirown privacy with no face to face shame or shyness.

In this modern age people and new generations are depending on technology. These days we use computers for everything and they are powerful tools. Now when we talk about learning I think being in the classroom would be the best choice, at least for me since I come from the old school, but taking an on line course these days is just as good as being in the classroom

Rebeca:
It's quite true that we have to adapt to the ever-changing world of technology. I also prefer a traditional classroom environment; however, I would like to use the technology to enhance my learning experience; especially as it applies to participation in Asynchronous Discussion forums.
Satrohan

Instructors really are actors. We have to motivate the students even on those days when we don't have any motivation. We still have to provide it, and it can be done in an online environment. My word of caution comes from the Director of my school. You have to watch every word you say because it is easy to be misunderstood. It is even easier to be misunderstood on the Internet.

Stephen:
Quite true. Instructors can be adept in providing all of the neccessary support; however, they have to be very proficient in written communication when teaching in an online environment.
Satrohan

I believe that a good online course with a good design can be just as good as a real classroom and live instructor. Each one has its benefits. For instance: fast learners will definately appreciate the usefulness of online courses. Online courses give them the opportunity to quickly complete course requirements. While a real classroom and a live instructor are better suited for learners who are better successful in that environment.

I agree that Instructors are actors and online course can be a movie. We need to be actors to help guide our students into the direction we need them to go. Our actions and online course content should be designed to help keep them motivated. Additionally, as an actor, we need to help our students feel good about what they are doing and show them the importance of subject matters.

Hi Jerry! Agreed, each has its benefits, the real challenge, perhpas in the online environment, is teaching and reaching the different learning styles; online courses lend themselves, of course, to the visual learners, yet hopefully we have activities and technological options in our online courses that stimulate the other styles - not just online discussion/chat, but ways for students to work together on projects, make online presentations, etc.

Thanks for your comments,

Jay Hollowell
EL101 Facilitator

...and to continue the excellent them that you suggest, the course outline, guidelines, learning objectives and requirements are the production elements and the script is how the instructor adapts the content to students and "brings it to life."

Thanks!

Jay
EL101

I am a firm beleiver in the synergy of a face to face interaction, however there are many people out there that are shy, or don't have high confidence - even when they should, that perhaps the online courses can enable them to overcome that shyness and such. With that having been said I think it truly depends on the person, their inteaction level and their situation of why to take an online class - adequate yes, synergy depends on the person.

Easy access to online materials - video's and photographs that the student can go through at their pace....not the instructors. Note taking, the student can pause, copy/paste material for their studing use - both visual and audio.

Adrienne,

Great points - thanks for contributing.

Jon

I would like to respond to this based on my previous experiences with students, both introverted and extroverted. The previous response stated that they felt that introverts may feel more comfortable online than in the traditional classroom and that very well may be true but….it doesn’t mean that they will necessarily participate more. In an instructor led environment it is our (the instructors’) responsibility to set every student up for success. That means when we recognize a shy student, we need to include them in the discussion and even lead them to the correct answer if necessary. I have seen many shy students become much more confident and willing to contribute when given to a few opportunities to succeed.

Haven’t seen a computer that could pull a student out of his or her shell yet.

Donald,

Good point. The one thing I I have seen as typical is the requirement (graded) to participate in some way online - generally I've found that this requirement at least starts some interaction.

Jon

I agree that instructors have be very proficient in written communication -- one obstacle that I do see is that students are not very proficient, and as a result it's sometimes hard to understand what they are asking on the first go. I think it's a learning process -- instructors learn how to be more proficient and to-the-point in writing, and students learn to adapt to asking questions through writing also.

I agree - some great on-ground instructors can't make the transition to online for this reason. - Jon

I totally concur with Don, My experience both on the ground and in online classrooms is that the extroverts are extroverted online as well. They attend all the chats and interact, post lots of responses in discussion board forums and generally are like they would be on the ground. The introverted ones still often comment only minimally and basically lurk in the virtual classroom.

While it is true the online forum makes it easier for SOME students to come out of their shell, it is if anything harder to draw out a withdrawn student online. They often just never respond to your emails and posts. On the ground you have a much better chance of eliciting a response if you are right there physically talking to them.

It is a special and unique challenge to engage the reticent student in an online environment. Any methods and tricks you have picked up to do this certainly would be welcome!

Great post - thanks for sharing! - Jon

hello Antoliy,

Thanks for your comments. I am not sure that I completely agree that a good course design can stimulate students "better" than a real classroom - but I do believe that there are some students - esp. in the onlihe environment - who thrive in that "annonymity" and do excel in the online environment and bring "more" to the classroom because they are not inhibited.

Thanks,

Toni

Sign In to comment