Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Completely agree. A couple of years ago, my sister and I took some online courses as undergraduates. The content was there, but the navigational simplicity and intellectual interaction were missing from the experience of the online course. As a result, my sister (whom was a little more inexperienced with computer technology than i was) was completely shut down by the idea of this way of learning. Now, in completing graduate studies, she won't even consider online courses because of the frustration she felt during those courses.

Absolutely true Sergio, visual perception is the first element in elearning. If the user does not feel comfortable and capable with the screen layout( even with a rigorous content) chances of a successful course a slim.

German ,
Great example! It is too bad though....there are online classes out there that are outstanding!

Shelly Crider

I agree, if to much info is repeated you lose the audience. The more fun you make it the audience will stay not only awake but want to relay their information also.

Peter,
Oh so true! There are some topics that are difficult to just read the material....econ is one for me! So we have to pep those classes up some!

Shelly Crider

Having had the opportunity to design all the online portions of the hybrid LVN-RN program at our school, I would certainly agree.

When I first evaluated the program, I discovered instructors were allowed to control the layout of the online classroom. This caused a great deal of inconsistency from class to class because each instructor set the classroom up that worked best for them. This left students having to figure out were class materials were located from class to class.

I standardized the layout and made all classes the same in format appearance. I did this following a student-centered learning approach so a student would be able to know where everything would be. There was some concern on the part of the instructors because they had been in control for so long. One of them even tried to make the point that instructor control was part of the student learning process. I explained to them the teaching process was for them to focus on content; not the look/feel of the classroom as said online classroom is supposed to be for the students learning than it was for instructor comfort. I verified my design thorugh the reading of the book "Developing Online Learning Environments in Nursing Education" by Dr. Susan Newbold, Dr. Cheryl Fisher, and Dr.Carol O'Neil.

One has to understand the online classrooms were very haphazard in what tools the instructors would use; some only using a couple weeks of the layout then deferring to links to a different learning environment not within the schools observation or control. Now the students are more comfortable with the online classroom. This is evident in the Nursing Leadership class I teach that is 100% online. My students know how to use the discussion boards to interact; they know where to look for my assignments, class calendar, etc. without having to ask where everything was.

So, yes, look and feel of online learning environments is very important.

Bobby,
Inconsistency leaves the student lost.....great post!!

Shelly Crider

I disagree that it is as important. I do think the look and feel of an online course is important, because if it doesn't catch their attention and make them feel comfortable enough to use the platform then they might not interact and engage which means they might not get everything out of the course tham they could have if it was more user-friendly. But I do think the content (knowledge and skills it is designed to impart) is more important overall.

i just started but i think the look and feel is important

cindi ,
We simply need an overall good product to intice our students!

Shelly Crider

sahbaa,
You will find that students will let you know quickly what they like and do not like!

Shelly Crider

Sandy,
I agree with the importance of communication. The only environment can feel "lonely" at times. A good rule is for an instructor to provide some feedback to each learner each week via the classroom (announcement, discussion board, email, etc). I believe that will reduce some of the lonely feels, make learners more engaged, and make the class more lively!

Absolutely. This section explained that the quality of an online course is measured by its structural integrity, instructional integrity, navigational simplicity, learner-centered learning and intellectual interaction. The goal in instruction is primarily the attainment of the learning outcomes and objectives and the transfer of knowledge.

Ensuring that learners understand the rationale and relevance of the course to their needs and how to obtain the information they need, are actively engaged with and intellectually interacting with the instructional content presented through the design (the look and feel) of the course is expected to enhance their achievement of the learning outcomes and retention of the delivered material.

Bobby,
Great post. I also agree that standardization in an institution is important. Not only will this make navigation easier but will also make transition from one class to the next easier since the learners are familiar with the platform.

An ideal online course should have an inviting feel and so students can easily navigate through the classroom. The syllabus, assignments and due dates, what is expected etc must be easily accessible and organized. The use of technology like videos, powerpoints, etc are great addition in the online classroom.

Althea,
Nicely stated!!! Ensuring that learners do indeed understand the content is what learning is all about!

Shelly Crider

Dr. Felicia,
Inviting is a key word. You "want" the students to log back into your class!

Shelly Crider

I agree. If the course is confusing, looks out of date, or does not promote student engagement then students will be less likely to complete the course. It is no different than showing up to a face-to-face course and having the instructor pull out an overhead projector - I would not trust what this instructor had to say because he/she has obviously not kept up with what is current.

Amie,
Good point, not only does it have to look good but it must look up to date!

Shelly Crider

I agree. The look and feel of an online course is very important. Some students are afraid of taking any online course because they think that it will not be the same as an in class course.

Sign In to comment