Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Absolutely! Having worked in several colleges with a variety of online learning platforms/software, I found two things critical for the students: ease of navigation and the overall appeal. I've received more complaints on courses whose look and feel was not designed for the specific student demographic (regardless of course content and functionality!) than on those platforms that had less features but a user-friendly look and feel. It increases credibility of the teacher and school, increases retention, and adds to an enriched online learning experience.

FARZANA,
That is a very good point. Students have to feel like they are in a class, but yet feel comfortable with the technology at the same time.

Shelly Crider

Sheryl,
Good point.....every demographic is a bit different. You cannot create a course in Microsoft Word for students fres out of school and retirees who just need refresher course.

Shelly Crider

STEVE,
Great point!! Every platform is a bit different. It is like going from Hotmail to Yahoo email.

Shelly Crider

I think the look and feel is important. If the site is poorly designed, students may get frustrated and decide that the course is to diffacult and just give up.
Also, well designed courses are more accessible to students and students can see where they are in the learning process while they take the course. Adult learners want to know what they are learning, why they are learning it, and how this knowledge will either expand or enchance the skills they may already have.

I think the look and feel is important. If the site is poorly designed, students may get frustrated and decide that the course is to diffacult and just give up.
Also, well designed courses are more accessible to students and students can see where they are in the learning process while they take the course. Adult learners want to know what they are learning, why they are learning it, and how this knowledge will either expand or enchance the skills they may already have.

I agree that the look and feel of an online course is as important as the content it contains. The web design should be easy to navigate so learners do not become frustrated looking for tools or resources. The design needs to be visually appealing as well. In my opinion, the feel refers to how the facilitator conducts the classroom. For example, are the students respectful of each other's opinions? Does the facilitator provide constructive feedback? Are classroom rules adhered to? The facilitator should be able to direct the class discussion away from negativity, toward positive interactions when necessary.

Kendra,
Not just students, but instructors may become frustrated as well if the site is not organized.

Shelly Crider

Robyn,
Nice comment on the facilitator. Even if the class is poorly designed, a good facilitator can involve the students through discussion.

Shelly Crider

Yes, the look and feel of an online course is important because if the course has much information on the page causing website clutter, the students may feel overwhelmed and they may drop out of the course.

If a course page is overcomplicated with too many messages, the student may not know what to read first or where to go after reading the messages.

Using images to optimize your course is essential; however, there has to be a balance to not using too many or irrelevant images.

Kelly,
You are right....too many messages and the students will stop reading them!

Shelly Crider

In order for students to be able to navigate through the program is must be appealing. Strutural integrity is important it aiding in the look and feel. If navigational simplicity is missing students may get frustrated and drop the course. In order to provide stimulating active learning look and appeal are absolutely important to keep interest and foster learning.

I agree that without both effective delivery and ease for the learner to navigate within the online course, the ease in obtaining and processing the instructional knowledge can be hindered.

Barbara,
Students must feel they are learning as easy as if they were in the classroom.

Shelly Crider

I agree. If an online course looks confusing or overwhelming it will get in the way of learning for sure. The student shouldn't be spending any time thinking about how to find information in the course. They should only be focusing on the material they are studying.

Online course are ok, but I personally perfer the class room. On the other hand out of the online courses that I have taken I've enjoy the course more than I would have thougth.The knowlege the I have gained I've been able to grow and develop my skill, yes I agree.

Carrie,
That is oh so true. The main objective is transfer of knowledge.

Shelly Crider

Clearly. I am interested though in the personal preferences by student. Is there any particular "style" to the look and feel by age, education and background of student learners that are preferred by defined groups of students.

Is there a "define" group of students anymore in online ed.

How is the link to "look and feel" of a course and the sellability of a program or course accomplished.

What roll does marketing and target market identificfation have on the success of enrollment.

George,
Excellent questions! Marketing does their job by introducing the product to the student along with the student's admissions rep. Together they will get a good feel if online will be a right fit for the student. From there, it is up to the student to give feedback to what they like and what they do not.

Shelly Crider

I agree. Since everything is via computer with no human interaction, it is important for the screen to be visually stimulating to keep their attention. ALso, interactive lessons and live videos help them as well. There is no physical teacher there, it is important that students can easily troubleshoot a lot of problems on their own.

Sign In to comment