Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

EL101

Forum 1

The look and feel of the online course is critical. For instance, most females know within seconds of meeting a male if interest is going to spark. Is this based on looks or content of character? Same is true for online classes, is the course easy to navigate, sparks interest to maneuver through course, any structural deficiencies, old URLs, etc.? I have seen both sides of the coin when it comes to content as instructor and student.
Online classes are tough enough without feeling alone. If the online class shell is not engaging, you will alone. Retention goes down the toilet.

Cory,
Discussions can be a bit of a challenge in any online class, but are invaluable as well!! Good job keeping up with your discussions!

Shelly Crider

Daniel,
I like this as we do have to have a hook to grab the student!

Shelly Crider

Todd,
I like consistency as well. It is nice to feel that you are moving right through your program.

Shelly Crider

Daniel,
Nobody wants to be alone in then online class! Good job.

Shelly Crider

The look and feel of an online course is critical to user friendliness, which will go a long way in keeping a user engaged. An easy and friendly navigation system encourages a student to learn more. Even if the detailed contents of the course material are excellent, it serves no purpose if the student finds it difficult to reach. Understanding the various components available in an online course is an important component of student success.

I totally agree. The visual/optics need to be clean and easy to follow without the overuse of multiple colors, artwork and/or hyperlinks. Color palates should be complimentary and not distracting. The more complex the post, the more effort must be places in keeping the presentation clean, easy to read and comprehend and pleasant to the eye.

Rose,
We do want students to learn, so a class easy to move in will indeed help with learning.

Shelly Crider

Dean ,
Glad you said "clean". As there are times easy can be messy!

Shelly Crider

yes visual of the online course is important.
The visual needs to be clean and easy to follow so the student will feel comfortable with navagating the course. Colors, shapes the type needs to be inviting and pleasing to the eye. If it is cluttered and offensive colors they will not want to take the course and may get agrivated easily.

I would agree as navigation and feel of the course can make an individual feel comfortable about starting the course or very uncomfortable especially taking an online course the first time around. Having a LMS that is user friendly and having a user friendly module based course set-up can make one have a much greater positive feel going into the course. Obviously the opposite would be true in that if the LMS and course is not easily understood and easy to navigate it can be frustrating.

William Huber

Rebecca,
There are some colors that are very offensive to some and then you have to be careful knowing there are color blind students as well.

Shelly Crider

William,
Who needs frustration while you are trying to learn!

Shelly Crider

Yes, the look and feel of an online course is very important for the learner. Each learner should find the course content laid in an organized platform. Materials should be easy to locate and understand. Everything should be written on a level for all users to understand.

Catina,
We hope that our students can understand what we want them to, and if they cannot, we hope they ask!

Shelly Crider

I agree that the look and feel of an online course is important because with anything, if it seems cluttered, unorganized, confusing, well it will not be useful and effective to the learners. When the online course looks structurally organized and navigational, the learner wouldn't become frustrated and discontinue with the course.

Hello Shelly,
I agree that the look and feel of the online course is important as the knowledge and skills because all students learn differently and they should be able to have a good visual and easy navigation of the course so that they are successful. Instructors can add you tube videos and graphics to assist in building the community in their course. This goes back to the navigation simplicity where students should be able to locate, access and use information so that they are successful in the course.
Fonzette Smith-Leavell

Michael,
Frustration is simply not something we need!

Shelly Crider

Fonzette,
Excellent post! You said it all with "good visual and easy navigation"!

Shelly Crider

The look and feel of an online course is very important. The online classroom can be a very scary place for some students and having an easy to use and easy to understand classroom design helps students feel comfortable. Well-designed online classrooms will enable the student to easily access classroom resources with little effort and frustration.

Sign In to comment