Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First and foremnost navigation is important. It can be frustrating for learners to have difficulties accessing a site. The look and feel of the site are important because it is essentially the "classroom". It is here where the instructor can set the tone for the course.

tom,
Good point. When the class is set up with differnt structure of each module, you can look for frustration.

Shelly Crider

Kevin,
You are right. Solid navigation is a must for every course, every module, every assignment!

Shelly Crider

I agree that the look and feel of an online course is important as the knowledge and skills it is designed to impart. The course must have to same professionalism as the being acquired. It must also be taught by experienced professionals licensed in that field, or with at least a degree related to that profession.

Hi Jocelyn,
The course blackboard and lay out must be state of the art to be considered a quality institution. Students and instructors need to feel close to the instructors and students, even if it is only online.

Brian Weiler

Hi Jocelyn,
The course blackboard and lay out must be state of the art to be considered a quality institution. Students and instructors need to feel close to the instructors and students, even if it is only online.

Brian Weiler

I agree Shelly. The design should include adequate support for the students. Instructors must respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner. The students also need technical support, since they may not be familiar with all the computer applications required.

Brian,
Professionalism is discussed with students, but to actually see it....that is a must!

Shelly Crider

Hi Romanda,
I appreciate that you used the term "friendly format" this is an important part of interface design and especially relating to elearning.

In an online format, we need to take even more responsibility to avoid frustration. We are missing the "human" connection that we have when interacting with student on-ground. Often times, there are technical issues that are beyond our ability to affect so we need to make sure that our content is engaging and clear to diminish the possiblity of frustration.

I agree 100%. I have taken many online courses. The feel I get right away really sets a tone. The colors, organization, and sounds can give me a good feel or they can leave me wondering why I ever took the course.

I agree. I believe that the look and feel of the online course is life a "first impression", it it is designed in a way that captures students visual interest, they are more likely to embrace the course and will be eager to begin.

I would agree. Though there does seem to be a gap in the quality of online students to that of brick and mortar students. Not all mind you, but many that I have encountered. Why do you think that is?

William,
This is true, but then again, I have sat in some brick and mortar classes and have wondered about the instruction and content.

Shelly Crider

Kevin,
Frustration could even be a good discussion topic as technology will always be around and there are times when it simply does not work like we want it to.

Shelly Crider

I agree completely. It doesn't matter how great the content, if students can't get to it, then what is the point? Online course management systems need to be user-friendly and the material organized in a logical manner. Otherwise, the instructor can waste hours (or days) trying to direct students to the resources they need.

The look and feel is absolutely critical. This is what the students see and interact with. If they are not happy with the look and feel, nothing one can do can make them happy.

Andrea,
And instructors simply do not have kind of hours to waste!!

Shelly Crider

Jim,
We want happy students so they will be productive in the work force.

Shelly Crider

I agree. The idea behind an online course is to provide a classroom that functions well, navigation is user friendly and repetitive so a student can be at ease within their studies and not worry about where they have to post or question what their obligations are - to that course. As online instructors, we tend to take it for granted that every student coming into our classroom has knowledge of the work Learning Management System which is an assumption we need to stop. At the beginning of our courses - we need to find out where each of our students are within the online learning process. In doing so demonstrates to the student that we are approachable and willing to help. This again is a stress reliever for the student, allowing them to focus more on their work and feel better about their situation or their choice to take online courses.

Sign In to comment