Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree! The reason why I say this is because I have completed two degrees online and one was a newer (at the time) more savvy platform. Several years later when I began the second online program I was a bit disheartened to see how antiquated the look and feel of the platform was. Many students complained and requested that it be upgraded and the semester or two prior to me graduating they upgraded it. We live a tech savvy world and many online students expect institutions of higher learning to keep up with whats going on.

Thank you,
Wanda

Wanda,
The platform can make or break learning for a student!

Shelly Crider

As an aesthetically oriented person I would have to say they are equally important. The look and feel of either an online course or a text/workbook can serve to draw me in or, in the case of material that is unappealing, act as a deterrent.

I have taken several online courses myself and initially I take a look at the LMS structure then I read the title and overview to the course which gives me an idea if I will be interested in the course itself. So I must agree that the look and feel of an online course is very important.

And how does one do that? It seems that perhaps a strategy to use would be to engage the students in helping to prepare the lesson using technology. I seem to remember that if someone has to teach something, they learn it "better".

I agree. If the proper look and feel is not there, there will be less desire to complete the course, in other words, a course will be deemed more desirable to take if the look and feel is welcoming and engaging.

Elizabeth,
Good point. When material is dry, the way the look of the class is....can be a saving grace!

Shelly Crider

Kimberly,
I was just sitting here thinking that I do the same thing! When I open a new online class, I play with all the tabs, pages and then I am ready to start!

Shelly Crider

Douglas,
Good point!! Having students teach a topic is truly an amazing way to have them learn that topic.

Shelly Crider

Douglas,
How many times have we passed up a good deal in a store because the item didn't look good?

Shelly Crider

A poorly designed classroom can get in the way of efficient learning. A well-designed classroom can facilitate learning and also make the experience more enjoyable.

This is my first Online Course I but have instructed at ECPI University, Mountain State University and United States Army Force management School. This is a total of about eighteen years. All the courses were in a classroom setting.

The look and feel of Online is completely different from the classroom. I do have to say the administrative workload is greater than in the classroom. The student and instructor interaction is by email or class assignments. Instructing in Principles of Communication by Online prevents an evaluation of Facial Expressions, Body Movement and Non Verbal Communication.

The student has more freedom in Online because they can come and go as they please as long as they complete the assignments. The same can be said basically for the instructor.

The interaction of face to face is limited to Emails or Phone Calls. The instructor needs to be a good communicator on assignments and following up with students who submit subpar assignments.

Pat,
So true! An organized class can really open up a student's thinking and allow for knowledge to just be soaked right up!

Shelly Crider

TERRY,
Good point as communication is so important in an online course!

Shelly Crider

Maybe not as important, but a precursor to.

If the look and feel of the course does not seem reasonable to me, or if I cannot find what I am looking for, it will be difficult for me to gain the knowledge and skills the course is meant to impart.

I agree. The look and feel are part of what makes the material accessable and engaging to the learner, thus enhancing learning and rtention.

Glenda,
Good point. If the look and feel does not feel good to us who know the way around an online course, can you imagine how it feels to someone who does not know?

Shelly Crider

Betty,
Enhancing learning is what we want to see! The end result!

Shelly Crider

Of course the look and feel of the online course is as important as the knowledge and skills. Not trying to be seen as "difficult", but the little cartoon guy at the beginning of this course is exactly what I would NOT do in my online course. I saw cartoon characters used in training courses in a very large US company. Many employees thought the cartoon people were insulting. Young hourly employees don't necessarily learn by video games, cartoons, or other silly or childish means of instruction. Why would we put these things in educational courses?

Another key point to online courses is winning over the students. They enroll in courses for various reasons. These can include better paying jobs; college degree or certification or just personal satisfaction. Some students are dedicated to studies where others do the minimum. Online it is hard to make accurate decisions about why a student took a course of study or how much effort they will put forward. Nonverbal communication is missing from the equation.

Earning the students respect through being the Subject Matter Expert (SME) is only half the battle. Through carefully worded and caring posts you begin to develop a friendship and trust level. Sharing your life experiences along with theirs starts a bonding process for learning.

Sign In to comment