Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree Isaac. I have found that many of my online students are very dedicated and self-starters. It takes a certain type of independant person to sign-up and complete an online course. As you noted, this demonstrates perseverance and dedication. I also would like someone who can function well under a good deal of autonomy, and a person who has successfully completed an accredited online class has certainly demonstrated that.

In regards to all I have read above and being an online instructor, each candidate has qualities in their own right. How important is motivation to leave the house vs. the ability to feel comfortable with a computer. For that particular position, with all other factors being equal, I would go with the online student. They are truely self-motivated.
Carol

Carol,

You bring up an excellent point about online students being self-motivated. That is one quality that is nonnegotiable in the online learning environment.

Thanks for your input :)

Jane

Hi John,

Since you are an experienced online instructor, you have probably seen students at both ends of the spectrum; those who are dedicated and self-starters as well as those who need quite a bit of external motivation. You bring up a good point that "a person who has successfully completed an accredited online class has certainly demonstrated" that they have the autonomy to do the job that you have to offer.

Do you think that we are past the days when online learning is somehow seen as substandard?

I am interested in your thoughts.

:)
Jane

Hi Jane,

I don't think we are necessarily past the stage, but I do think that online instruction is gaining more universal acceptance. Hopefully, as time goes by, and online instruction is more thoughtfully understood, this substandard stigma will disappear.

John,

I agree.

Merry Christmas to you and your family,
Jane

Yes, I would hire the on-line candidate, but only after investigating the on-line program that he/she participated in. Based upon the fact that there is no board or licensing committee controlling this type of degree, I would want to make sure that this potential employee was MADE to learn the material and truly knows her job and was not simply given a degree because she paid her tuition.

Hi Carrie,

All things being equal, the onsite and online courses are offered through accredited universities, do you think there will be a difference in the quality of education offered to each student?

I love what you said about the student being "made to learn." I have been teaching for many years and have still discovered no method for making my students learn. :)

I know what you mean, though. You don't want to think that your potential employee was simply pushed forward. Could this happen in a traditional program as well as an online one?

I am interested in your thoughts.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Jane

I would hire the candidate who received her academic credentials through online learning. Also I agree with the Myers Briggs concept of defining "type", and believe it does take a certain "type" to succeed online. Self motivation as well as personal responsibility is definitely key. It also takes a certain "type" to succeed at bookkeeping.

I agree. The quality of courses is improving. Taking the on-line continuing education class has given me several points to keep in mind as I teach and evaluate the courses I teach. Students must be motivated to meet their goals. Generally, those who take on-line classes have to be motivated and self-disciplined.

Hi Lisa,

Would you choose the online student because you feel that this person would be self-motivated? It is refreshing to see that some of the stereotypes of online learning are finally fading away.

Jane

Hi Mary,

You make a good point about online students being more motivated and self-disciplined.

You mentioned that the quality of online courses is improving. The tools are certainly better for teaching online than they were five years ago, so I have to agree with you. Do you think this is why online education is becoming more acceptible?

I am interested in your thoughts,

Jane

Hi Jane,
Yes. I enjoy those who are optomistic and embrace life. Self-motivation and a positive attitude go hand-in-hand. I agree, when people become more familiar with online and understand that the potential for learning or discussing certain subjects can be made easier, stereotypes will fade.

Well said!!

Jane

Yes I do. I think that students are beginning to see how versatile they are. Not only are some of the classes available 24-7 they are more user freindly and accommodating. The feedback I get from students is that they want simple, reliable, efficient and accommodating materials that help them meet their goals.

No, I don't think that there is a difference int eh QUALITY of eduation offered to each student...but I do believe that there is a difference in the QUALITY of student that takes on-line and onsite courses. I truly believe that onsite students get more from being present in class....being watched by the instructor...I make my students accountable for their information...they are not going to get past me without studying...I find a lot of loop holes with on-line learning....to easy to cheat.

I don't think in a traditional onsite course a student could just get "pushed" through....if they do...its the instructors fault!

I couldn't agree more!

Thanks for your input :)

Jane

I tend to agree with Carrie. I would just want to make sure that the institution was accredited and the program had the appropriate measures in place to make sure the grades are true to the syudents academic performance and knowledge.

Hi Kevin,

Your answer, as well as Carrie's, indicates that online education has come a long way and is gaining acceptance.

Beyond checking out a school's accreditation, what measures would you take to ensure that it offers a quality education?

Thanks for your response :)

Jane

I would also want to see the something that shows what is in the cirriculum, and if possible find out how performance is evaluated. I just want to be sure that the student was not able to attain high grades without doing the work or showing the committment needed to get them.

Sign In to comment