Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Christine:
Quite correct. Motivation, discipline, as well as time management contribute to making a student a successful online learner in an online environment.

This is a classic question I usually ask when I interview Instructional Designers for my team. Sometimes I get a straight "No" as an answer. other times, I get "It Depends" followed by an explanation. Most of the responses I have received seem to point in the direction that if the consequencs of error on the job is grave, one would be less inclined to hire someone graduating from an online program without conducting certain tests to verify that the applicant possesses the knowledge and skills to perform the duties associated with the job.

I have had one candidate who, instead of answering the uestion, asked me how comfortable I would be if I were to choose a Dentist who graduated from and online course.
Satrohan

Yes, I would but I will check the online school and the programs that they offered to make sure they met the four major criteris for online programs and I will also give each candiate a test on bookkeeping to assess their abilities on the bookkeeping concepts.

Fatmata:
Administering a pre-test to assess entry level knowledge and skills will provide you with the kinds of information you require to identify the specific needs of individual students.
Satrohan

Wow, judging by the number of replies this is a topic that a lot of people have given thought to. I guess all things being equal I would tend towards the traditional student because going to a school shows a level of dedication and socialization that may not be true by the on line person.

One additional factor would be if other classes were required at the traditional school that an online program might not--I would be more likely to hire someone who had a course in English writing or Excel since they seem to have more potential to do well and move up. But perhaps that's just my old fashioned view.

If I knew the online studier was juggling family/carer etc. issues that the student at a school wasn't that might tip things the other way--but how would one know without asking borderline illegal questions?

Richard:
There lies the challenge---avoiding illegal questions. For that reason I use tests anchored on the knowledge and skills candidates are required to apply to the job-tasks.
Satrohan

Yes, I would consider hiring the candidate with a degree from an online course. There are many well-known and not so well-done institutions that are accredited and have competent faculty teaching the courses.

Charlotte:
It all goes back to the precautions uou mentioned in a previous response, one must take when evaluating the suitability of a candidate for the position.
Satrohan

I agree as well. Sometimes bookkeeping is a very hands-on, down-and-dirty kind of job where you literally have to sort through shoeboxes of receipts to put together financial statements for a small business. They often have to deal with clients of less than sterling attitudes or dispositions as well as the accountants themselves. Online courses (in the past at least) have "sanitized" a lot of the subject matter by providing the simplest of case studies or examples.

Just the fact that many of the responses on this board have clarified that "as long as the online program is reputable" shows there is an inherit distrust of this kind of education. I think this harkens back to an era of disreputable "correspondence" courses people could take via postal mail (only now it is done via email and the web).

Also in response to another post, there are definitely some occupations that would not lend themselves to online education (no matter what kind of advanced multimedia simulations we may throw at the student) namely:

Doctors
Dentists
Hairdressers
Chefs
Artisans

Thomas:
You have made several strong points. I often share the same thoughts and have made some observations to support yours about "sanitization" and "correspondence course by e-mail". Having said that, Thomas, I have seen high quality correspondence courses as well as online courses. Most of the quality correspondence courses are from reputable institutions in the United Kingdom. The quality online courses I have seen took an average of 18 months to create and costed approximately 112K, and they were approved by state managed accreditation boards.

Satrohan

Good Question, I'm in the Graphic Design and Web Design Field.. So it doesn't really matter to me. A. where possible employee received education.
or B. Whether possible employee even has an education.

I rely on portfolio and communication skills. I truly feel though that online courses really help with creating a better communication skill set in students. Not VERBAL but just phrasing yourself in a manor that is easily understandable and most importantly.. in a Timley manor.

Andrew:
As a Graphics Designer, how important do you think is your ability to comprehend written communication?
Satrohan

This is where you could look to the softer skills to find the best candidate. Hard skills (education) are important but ultimately you want an employee who shows up, has a work ethic, and is a go getter.

I plan to pursue my advanced degree via online classes and would want to be assessed on my education credentials irregardless to the method of delivery.

Toni:
Yes; one has to consider the soft skills as they are very important to a new hire's success in a new culture. My assumption is that Employers will be more open to online graduates in Higher Degrees----Masters onwards; especially of the candidate ia already working in the field.
Satrohan

This is a great question, because there is no right or wrong answer just our opinion on our perception of an online degree. I have been teaching online for a number of years and I would say all things being equal I would choose the traditional student. Some of the problems I have with online education are that there is no way to be sure who is doing the work, there is no way to monitor exams and online students have the advantage of using every possible resource for all assignments. The traditional student really has to know the material to do well.

There is one advantage that the typical online student has over the traditional on-ground student – time management. They tend to have more things to manage in their life. Many of them work full-time, have kids and a spouse to keep happy. There are others who still live at home and have no other responsibilities in life. These are the ones that most of the time should not be in an online course.

This all assumes that they seem equal in all other areas, including the interview.

Mark:
Both points you have made are well taken. Some institutions with which I have worked have begun delivering proctored exams to their students of graduate courses. The sole purpose behind this is protecting the credibility of their programs.

Quite true; effective time-management is a good sign of a disciplined employee.
Satrohan

I think on-line curse content is improving. But overall I believe that the quality of the individual would determine long term success

Good thoughts! - Jon

I think there are too many different variables in this situation to really say what one would do. Assuming that the 2 schools - online and on campus - were equal in terms of the level of rigor they provided, I would see the 2 candidates in an equal light and hire based on how the person's personality fit within the department. However, I think many traditionalists would assume the online courses were "easier" and therefore would hire the on campus learner. But I think our society is coming to accept that online courses can provide the same level of learning as on campus courses, and coupled with the higher level of dedication required to successfully complete online courses, the online learner may become more sought after.

I agree, the attitudes of employers are shifting, at least to greater acceptance. - Jon

I think the new technology of education still needs more time to be accepted equally to the traditional one. I would prefer a combination of both methods. These two method are good complementry educational tools.

Sign In to comment