Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online vs. traditional education...

In this module we addressed the attributes of quality online courses. Assume that you are a Controller. You have interviewed several candidates for the position of Bookkeeper, and are at the point when you have to choose between two candidates. One of these candidates received her academic credentials by attending traditional classroom sessions; the other by completing an online program. All other selection criteria being equal between these two candidates, would you hire the candidate who received her academic credentials through online learning? Justify your answer.

Yes, I would but before I did that I would check out the online school and the programs offered to make sure they meet the four major criteria for online programs.

Hi Barbara...

It is good that you would check out the online school in order to ascertain whether the school was accredited and recognized by the Department of Education. Determining whether the course design met the four major criteria for online programs, however, may be a little more difficult. Do you think that this obstacle would tempt you to overlook the candidate who earned her degree online in favor of the candidate with a "traditional" college education? Enjoy the course!

No, I don't think it would deter me from hiring this person, if the candidate was equal in all areas. Personally I would feel that if that person took the time to obtain the degree regardless of the avenue they took would show me some dedication.

A few years ago I would not have hesitated to say no. However, now I find the quality of said courses can be higher,then the traditional in class, and are not automatically "less than". The biggest factor would be the sponsoring educational intitution. A recognised institution or accredidation would have more to do with the decision then how the courses were delivered

Kelli,

I agree that the accredidation of the institution is a very important consideration when assessing a candidate's education. You also made an interesting point when you said that the quality of the courses can be higher. In what way(s) would you find an online education more desirable than a traditional one?

Thanks for your input!

Jane

I would have no reservations in hiring someone who earned their degree online. Ten years ago, I may have answered differently, but today, no reservations. Online learning has come a long way in the last 10 years.

Elaine,

You bring up a good point that online learning has made terrific strides in the past several years and that it is gaining acceptance. What one point would you make to someone who expressed that they felt that online learning is not as good as traditional learning?

With all of the selection criteria being equal, I will hire the candidate who did the online program. My reason? Doing the program online takes a lot of courage, perseverance, and dedication and those are the qualities that I would like to see in my Bookkeeper. Thank you.

Isaac

Your response indicates that online education has really come a long way toward gaining acceptance in the last few years. You make a terrific point that a candidate who possess the qualities it takes to complete an online education will also make a good employee. Thanks Isaac --- Jane Leight

It could be argued that it requires someone who is more self-directed and disciplined because one has to force themselves to create a their own schedule to complete the course requirements on time, rather than having a structured classroom schdedule. Therefore, when looking at a job applicant, the interviewer may see the online graduate as being stronger in these characteristics.

Excellent point!

I have taken several on-line courses from very reputable schools and found them to be just as comprehensive as traditional classroom courses. Since “on-line schools” are still proving themselves, the standards and oversight from state and federal education departments is tough! On-line courses/schools that don't measure up will not be accredited. I believe the key to hiring is in the interview. “All other selection criteria being equal…” the candidate who interviews best will get the job.

I started asking this question a few years back and am amazed at the evolution the answers have taken. Online schools have really made terrific strides in gaining acceptance.

Do you think that it is actually the better students (and, thus, better employees) who complete their education online? I am interested in your opinion.

Thanks,
Jane

Don't forget it takes time away from family/home/store/pajamas/coffee to spend gas to drive to a school, park, show up on time, etc. Being new to computers,(let alone online learning), I would have to say that online is convenience-oriented and the true test of someone showing up for work may be giving the edge to the physically-schooled graduate. I could be sick and feel well enough to work online...but go out into the world and sacrifice all that time,gas,traffic,hassle,etc. just to get there and back? That takes more "courage" and dedication, in my opinion.

As for hiring, with credentials being equal? Depends on the chemistry of the person with the other staff.

Hi Karen,

You bring up a good point about the dedication it takes to physically attend school. Do you think that it takes a different kind of dedication to earn an online degree?

:)

Jane

The dedication for the online learner is, for me,a matter of prioritizing and acting on choises that going to the physical school doesn't... instead of the time and energy going toward all the physical hassle of getting to a school, we could spend more time on actually learning something. Or, we could enrich ourselves with more time with family or friends. Or, we could actually get a little more sleep. I personally don't think my intraction with my professors in school was all that important to my motivation or improved my skills. Online with you has been just as effective.

The motivation of the student is the key to any successful learning.

Dear Barbara
I like your answer, however I do not think a good school and a good program garantee a good bookkeeper.

I would seek more information before I would hire either candidate. I would give the candidates a Myers Briggs Personality Test to determine how well the candidates would fit in with the organization. As long as the course content was the same in both cases, I wouldn't hesistate to hire either one of the candidates.

When you mentioned Myers-Briggs it made me wonder whether there would be a significant difference between online students and traditionally-educated students as far as test results. In other words, do certain personality types tend to choose online education? Interesting.

I take it that you would use Myers-Briggs as your gauge over how the student earned his or her degree. Am I right?

Do you think that a degree earned online is as good as one earned through traditional channels?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Jane

Sign In to comment