Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

RE: Visual Aids

I know that visual aids are useful for engagement. However, can visual aids, such as, clip art, and other animation distract the learner from other course material?

This thread is of particular interest to me for I am a visual learner.
I find visual aids to be a great tool for communicating in an online environment. With that said, I do beleive that a balance is needed. It is important to not have TOO MUCH going on visually such that it does become a distraction. I liken this to wearing polka dots, with paisley, with stripes. : )

Terry,
I love this analogy! Too much of a good thing, tends to have a lot of downfalls!

Shelly Crider

Lauren ,
I think it could be a distraction if a student did not have a computer that could handle the visual aid or if a student did not know how to operate the visual aid.

Shelly Crider

To be honest I don't think it would distract the students. They are good...really good @ multi-tasking & would be able to manage this area. They would not lose focus. I think the majority of the students would be able to stay on track. Plus the visual aids would make the course even more interesting.

Terry,
I tend to agree with you about too much going on becoming a distraction. Although sometimes a visual such as an animation or a picture of a process does make it easier to describe what is going on to the students in the class. I am in IT so I find visuals to be very helpful, but I use mostly pictures and live demonstrations from the internet. In an on-line environment, you want to keep them engaged in the learning and me talking, blah, blah, blah, is not always what the students want to hear :)

I enjoy and love visual aids. I have got a lot of positive feedback for using them. As long as it works within the tech specs that have been asked at the beginning of the course, you should feel free to use them and have students enjoy.

Absro,
Seeing is believing for me as well.

Shelly Crider

I think that often times it depends on what that material is. In a design course all material used should be visually and technically in line with the quality and caliber of work expected from the students.

Cory

Cory,
good point. Content really drives the make up of the class.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment