Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online course design specification...

In this module, you have been introduced to the benefits of creating a Course Design Specification. Assume that you are outsourcing course development to a company that develops online courses. In what ways would a Course Design Specification benefit you as well as the person the vendor has assigned to manage the development of your courses?

It would lead to clear cut requirements for the course and make the developement of that course much quicker since the design specifications were a know from the beginning. The vendor would know up front what pieces needed to be developed into this course and if they were capable of developing all the required elements, for me there would be less adjusting since the fundaments elements were already pre-requested.

You make two really good points in your post. Taking the time to create a design specification can save on development time as well as address the feasibility of the project up front.

Some developers, however, prefer to use a prototype approach because it allows design and development to happen simultaneously which, in turn, saves time. The best approach really depends on the dynamic of the course, customer, and development team.

Good post!

It is a clear communication tool. It would save time and ultimately money. It would make sure that both parties were speaking the same language and keep ideas clear and orgnized.

Kelli,

As a communication tool, a Design Specification Document is invaluable. As with any communication tool, however, there is always the risk of miscommunication. Can you think of some steps to follow in order to ensure that both parties are indeed speaking the same lanugage? Thanks for your input.

Jane

When I create my course design specifications, I create them from needs assessment. When I give my specifications to the company developing the online course, the company should be able look through the specifics and then tell me from experience what will work and what will not work. This will save my company money and time. And also make me a repeat costumer.

Isaac

Needs assessment is definately a necessary step in creating a Design Specification. I also agree that the person developing the course should be able to offer advice as to the feasiblity of many aspects of the design. Do you feel that performing a needs assessment and creating a design specification document will be less costly and time consuming than taking a prototyping approach? Thanks for your input :) Jane

No one knows your audience better than you. A Course Design Specification provides the outsourcer with a methodology that fits your audience needs. As a simple example, think of how differntly one might present navigation of a Windows-based product to a group of first time users versus a group of experienced users. Personally, I would probably present more graphics and animations in my training to first-time users, whereas I may be able to present more menu paths in text format to experienced users. A design specification should make this distinction and allow your outsourcer to present to your audience appropriately.

You make a very appropriate distinction between first-time users and experienced users. Too often course designers assume that all learners are the same.

Some argue that the time it takes preparing the Design Specification document could be better spent developing a prototype. Do you agree? Why or why not?

I'm going through that process now, so I may be able to answer that question better after we complete the process.

With design specifications, you give the whole picture to the vendor: analysis, design strategies including instruction goals,media for all learning styles, activities to help students practice, and testing. The vendor would translate the ideas to workable expression on the internet.

Hi Karen,

Do you think that using a design specification document is preferable to having the designer create a prototype, which would be improved through multiple communication with you? Which would be quicker?

:)

Jane

Prototype would be quicker, 'cause I know almost nothing about computers.

Hi Jane - I've enjoyed your course, thanks for your help.

In response to the benefits of Course Design Specifications, we use the specifications at our school as an "ISD checklist". In that way, we can ensure we have done a good "task analysis" and, hopefully, we know what we want from the outsourced company. We also hope it helps answer a lot of questions the course developer will have about the course we want developed.

As a seasoned user of the ISD checklist, would you say that your method is preferable to some type of rapid prototyping method of designing courses? I am interested in your experience in this area.

Thanks, I enjoyed having you in the class.

:)
Jane

Hi Jane -

I've helped design courses for a long time. I enjoy it - new courses are
always challenging. But, I have learned that there are no short cuts. I
believe in and always use the five stages of the old military ISD model,
religiously. Properly analyzing the task at hand is critically important.
The term "rapid" sort of scares me! Templates are great - if those using
them are really familiar with the process of instructional development.
Thanks again for your help on this course - it was fun.

Best of luck with your doctoral work!
Dave T.

Dear kelli

You mentioned "to be organized", I like that . Educatores in any form should use all the tools they have to get everything organized, so the students know exactly what they are going to learn and teachers can be introduced as a good teacher.

Shohreh

A Course Design Specification would benefit you and the vendor by giving him/her an idea of exactly what material is needed and the format in which you are going to present it in. It would save you time the it would take to go over details with the vendor because the information would be ready to go.

You bring up a good point that the Design Specification document would be a great tool for the vendor.

Some companies prefer to forgo the whole design specification process and choose, instead, to have the vendor design a prototype from a general description of what is required and work from there. Sort of like the old adage "A picture is worth a thousand words."

Perhaps the best method would be the one that is quicker and cheaper; without sacrificing quality, of course.

Have you ever been involved in online course design?

Jane

Of course I would be outsourcing the development to a company because I have no idea how they create course. Being the instructor, the goals, objectives, and evaluation are the basis of the whole class.
I need the course Design Specification as well so that I can follow up with the students.

Sign In to comment