Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Speed and clarity would both be improved with a Course Design Specification. As the Director, I would get what I want in Online Courses. The students would end up with consistency and therefore ease of navigation. The instructors would be happy if everything looked standardized and professional.

A vendor doing all of the design specs would impart a great deal of his own, or someone else's style into the course, in the absence of a CDS document.

Howard,

I agree with your point about what would happen in the absence of a Course Design Specification document but I am wondering if that could be a benefit rather than a downfall. I suppose it would depend on the experience of the vendor.

You mention that the CDS document helps speed up the process. Do you think that, perhaps, developing a prototype based on some basic information and then tweeking that prototype may be a faster way to develop your course? I am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jane

The issue of the CDS in the hands of the vendor would indeed very much depend on the skill of the vendor. Personally, it's difficult to surrender that much control :-). However, it could be accomplished with a slightly longer lead time to acquire the right vendor/author combination. Could be done.

As for the process speed, yes I believe that basic prototype with the general layout, etc., would go a long way towards speeding up the end process for any new courses. You avoid having to re-invent the wheel and you promote consistency.

I am a control freak also :)

It was nice conversing with you!

Jane

A Course Design Specification would be necessary when establishing a solid idea on how the course would function. If there wasn't a goal to be reached while creating the course, many points and sections would be overlooked.

Hi Chris,

You're right, it's always good to have the end in mind. A course design specification is a terrific communication tool as well as a good planning tool.

Do you think this document would be worth the time it takes to prepare it?

Jane

By developing a course design the outsource person would know exactly what we want in our online course. And we would benefit from their experience.

Lillian,

You make a good point that the course designe specification is a terrific communication tool between you and your outsource person. Also, if you choose your developer wisely, they will be able to offer suggestions for making your course better.

So, do you think that this tool is worth the time and effort it requires?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Jane

The course design specification would give you the confidence that the course is going to include all of the content necessary to successfully deliver the course. It would also cut down on the amount of time spent redoing or adding to the course and would allow you to deliver the course at the scheduled time without delays due to production.

This is a great "food for thought" question, as miscommunication can always occur. I would suggest adding dates, in the timeline, for review, so if any miscommunication does occur you can nip it fast without delay.

I agree. Most developers seem to have their own approach as a base and then will insert any type specific needs that you may desire. This seems to be the norm around N.J. It saves time as most online courses have similar needs, it is a proven method, and is cost effective

Debi,

Would the design specification approach still be appropriate in this case?

You mention that this method is proven and cost effective. Is it possible to use this canned approach and still develop interesting and educationally sound courses? I am interested in your thoughts :) Jane

In order for you and the vendor to be on the same page and develop a program that fits your needs and is one the vendor can provide, I think it is imperative that you have Course Design Specifications. Having taken some programming myself, I realize that the vendor will have a template to follow to aid in creating a new course. This should pose no real problem as they can adjust to meet my needs. The CDS will make sure that I understand the course that I am teaching and will require less work on the back end since I will be very aware of what is in my course.

Hi James,

You make a great point about the vendor being able to adjust their template to your needs. This flexibility is very important.

Creating a Course Design Specification can be a time-consuming and costly process. An alternative would be to have your course vendor create a prototype from your initial description of the course and improve it through iterations (versions). Which method would you prefer?

I am interested in your thoughts :)
Jane

I think the most important part of the course is the instructor's ability to be comfortable with the presentation of the material. Therefore, if I was comfortable with the Vendor, I would let them create a prototype and improve it through versions. However, if I was not comfortable with the vendor, I would spend the time and effort to create the CDS so that I would be comfortable in its delivery.

This is a great discussion question!

I think that clear requirements and expectations should be communicated to any course developer. This must include a clear concept of the course and the steps or modules you envision for the course. I am very much against the template design style of many courses and would encourage the course developer to explore new and innovative methods.

The key to any successful course development is open communication with the design team. Regular course evaluation/critique during the course design can ensure the course is developed just as your envisionit (and perhaps, even better).

Hi Paul,

It is refreshing to hear that you are against the template design style. Although it is simple and meets the needs of most courses, it can become boring to students who take a lot of online courses. However, I must qualify that by saying that consistency does breed familiarity, which may be important to some students. Especially to students with limited computer skills.

You also bring up a good point about regular course evaluation and critique. This is important during development as well as after development.

Good post!

Jane

The Course Design Specification is the blueprint used by courseware developers to create the course. It represents a statement of requirements and a standard to which a developed course can be compared to. In the absence of the design specification, it is easy to have misunderstandings regarding course deliverables and will inevitably lead to frustration, wasted time, and extra costs.

Peter,

You bring up some terrific points in your post. The misunderstandings to which you refer can also happen with a poorly prepared Course Design Specification.

An alternative method would be for the developers to create a prototype, which would be improved upon through iterations. What do you think of this method as opposed to creating the specification document. Would it save time?

:)
Jane

I think a prototype is very effective when you're trying to convey the essence of a course to others, there's nothing like seeing something 'real'. It's also a very useful approach when you aren't quite sure what you want the end product to look like and in this case, the prototype becomes a discovery exercise.

Sign In to comment