Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

By providing the vendor's person a road map of what exactly you are looking for in the design. Of course, I believe you must keep an open mind to the recommendation of the designer and work together to produce the best possible online course presentation.

Marie:
Usually, the Course Design Specifications is the end-product of discussions between the Instructional Designer and a Subject-Matter-Expert assigned to develop the course. I agree that the Subject-Matter Expert should remain open-minded to recommendations the Instructional designer makes because very little progress is usually made when we have more than one dsign authority on a course.
Satrohan

In researching a company to outsource course development, both need to have similar ideas about the course design. Discussions would need to continue throughout the entire process to ensure the company's needs are being met.

Essentially, the process becomes a team effort with the company providing feedback along the way to the vendor. Mock training modules and a completed mock training session are important to implement when designing a program to ensure that all needs are met.

Charlotte:
This will be a practical solution to the degree that th contractor has someone qualified on their side to interface with the vendor. My experience has been that in the majority of instances, the content expertise exists on the contractor's side; the instructional and media treatment expertise do not.
Satrohan

Satrohan,
I can also see it the other way around - the content is on the company's side and the instructional/ media treatment expertise exists on the contractor's side.

Overall, it's important to have clearly defined criteria when outsourcing the development and deliver of training material.

For myself, I hope to be able to see how different courses have been put together to determine how best to develop each module of the course.

Charlotte:
Outsourcing hss several levels. Sending out a Request for Information (RFI), Request for Quote (RFQ), Request for Proposal (RFP). In all of this, what you mention as "defined criteria" must be specified. Part of this document is another piece usually referred to as a Statement of Work (SOW). as a minimum, a SOW defines the deliverable, criteria for acceptance, name of Acceptor, delivery dates, and any assumptions made.
Satrohan.

Satrohan,
I can't find the response but someone mentioned the timeframe and the budget in developing courses which are also important. The ideal scenario is having very specific criteria defined as to what the end product will be. True - the SOW (I know it as Scope of Work) would identify everyone's responsibilities, the deliverable, timeframe and cost of the project.

Jane,

The course design specification for the vendor would give a clear cut specification so that the vendor can "custom" design the course exclusively to my needs.

I think that I will leave it up to the developers to design the course and I will evaluate the trial version and add my individual needs and suggestions before the final version is submitted. This will take away the individual instruction component of the course and will adhere to all types of learners.
If given the opportunity to develop a course will you design it on your own or will you outsource the project to a developer?

Interesting. Will you help with the content of the course?

Agreed it is essentially the blueprint of the coarse for the vendor to build upon. What is need of them and if they can provide the services needed will be determined because of it...also how much time it is going take and will they make the deadlines for the project.

Ramondo,
Oh those darn deadlines!! I have to agree though. There have been times when I have had to create a class at the last minute and didn't feel I had the time to get everything in. I then had to add after the fact.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment