Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sandy ,
Nice statement about fitting to the platform. There are many differnt platforms out there with different capabilities.

Shelly Crider

Andre,
Thank you for adding "quality". Quality must be there for any class.

Shelly Crider

I am in different with that. I think the classroom and online they have their different methods of developing them to get the student involved. I do not think either one is more difficult than the other.

delmera,
There are times when we teach differently just between classes.....whether online or onground!

Shelly Crider

I cannot imagine that developing a course on line is less time consuming even if you are computer savy. I can develop a class room course in a week to 2 weeks complete with tests and materials. However, an online course requires so much more preparation that is visual due to the lack of face time with the students. I looked at the links for the syllabus and appendixes. It looks like it would certainly take longer at least the first time.

Claudia,
Thank you for looking at links!! Links change often and you do not want your students looking at something they should not!!

Shelly Crider

I have taught online and traditional classes and I feel that the time to create course materials is the same the first time I teach a class. Creating power point presentations, live chat assignments, grading rubrics and projects is just as cumbersome for both environments. I will say that once the class begins the online experience is much easier for me. I enjoy being able to teach in by sweatpants and not worrying about commuting in to teach an empty classroom. With the online class I can still teach and record my lecture if I don't have any students present for that session.

Becky,
Students love the extras you add to the class, whether you are in traditional or online.

Shelly Crider

I disagree for two reasons. First you need to translate that face-to-face delivered course material to an appropriate online format. Secondly, with the degrees of change and the explosion of information available, I believe the online corse will take more time to review new links and websites, that are constantly being updated.

John ,
Thank you for reviewing links....they change so often and will not work for the student if someone has not checked them.

Shelly Crider

disagree, It will take more time to develop an online course.

sami,
When creating your online course, you really need someone else to do quality control.

Shelly Crider

I disagree, since the instructor will not opportunity of asking the typical questing asked on a traditional classroom "any questions?" after explaining a subject; all the information must be explained in more detail to make sure that students understand correctly the material and this fact along will make developing a quality online course more time consuming that a traditional classroom delivery.

manuel,
You can create a new discussion question that states "Any last questions, comments or concerns". You would be surprised at how many will respond.

Shelly Crider

I would have to disagree. There seem to be so many more parts to the online course. Just one example is making sure students understand what you are teaching them. In a traditional classroom, I am able to look at my students and am able to tell if they are “lost” or not. In an online environment, I will need to put extra steps in the online boards to make sure I know they are understanding. In addition, keeping the students engaged in the class maybe more difficult than in a class. I am going to have to have activities created to make sure they are engaged and understanding.

I believe that the time invested in developing a quality online course is equal to that of developing the same course for a traditional classroom delivery. The same amount of care and focus into developing online lectures, quizzes, exams, discussion topics, etc., should not be any different than when developing the content for a traditional course. In fact it might even take longer than developing a course for traditional classroom delivery since it involves not only the development of the course content but the integration into the online format, and careful selection of its layout.

Victor,
You may have to update each term so that you are connecting to your students. As we all know, each class of students that we have tends to be a bit different!

Shelly Crider

Both the ongorund and online course development, in order to be successful for student delivery and retention, must require full devotion and quality assessment by the instructor. However, there are some requirements for online courses that are technology driven and not required for onground, such as providing tech. support; identifying technology requirement necessary to navigate throughout the course.

Both e-books and the traditional textbook have their pros and cons. I am simply but deeply concerned about a course that does not have a prescribed textbook such as the lower dividion and upper division cpstone classes. Books are the common suppository of knowledge, the center of our learning universe.

E-books are more economical than the traditional textbook and its portability is so much easier than the traditional text.

John,
Students learn differently, so different books make a difference. Many of the older students will want a traditional textbook especially for a capstone class.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment