Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I totally disagree. If anything, preparing for an online course takes more time than preparing for a traditional course, at least in my discipline. The time that it takes to grade, for example, for an online course (again, in my discipline), takes longer than a traditional course because in the online environment, I have to download the paper, grade the paper using the tools in MS Word while considering how to structure formative feedback, save the paper, and return the graded paper to the student. In a traditional environment, I just collect the papers in class, pull out my pen and grade, then, return the papers at a later date. I know that the question asks about developing the course, but grading papers, I believe, is a part of that development. :-)

I agree, Carol. When I responded to the question, I discussed, albeit briefly, structuring formative feedback. With the online environment, we must consider how to respond to our students differently. I have crushed many feelings without using the online program’s formative feedback. Some students took it in stride. One student said “I was hurt when I saw that F, but I know I can do better.” LOL It made me smile when I read his response, and I knew that I could push him harder. Some students, however, do not respond so positively.

Dr. Outland, I disagree. Due to the nature of the online course and the lack of face-to-face interaction, more time is needed to adequaltely devlop an online course. Because student may not have the opportunity to ask questions and receive immediate response, the detail and direction for an online course is much greater and more demanding from a development perspcetive.

Thanks,
George

I totally disagree. In reality, I would suspect that most f2f courses are not "deliberately designed" and therefore take much less time. If a f2f class was put through the rigors of what a quality online design goes through, it would likely be an equivalent mix. This would be particularly true if the f2f instructor put forth effort to specifically align technology, multimedia, and interactivity into the class as is required for a quality online experience.

I disagree. The prep time is just as long if not longer. Students have a different set of concerns in an online class, especially in introductory courses. For students that are not technically savvy the concept of live chats, discussion boards and means of submitting assignmenst can be very overwhelming. As instructor it is important to try to anticipate and address these concerns in advance. It is important to ease students minds as much as possible so that they can focus on the course material rather than then technology.

I disagree. I think it is either the same or more.

Jeannette,

Good points, I guess it really depends on what you are measuring against. I believe that when a "quality" online course is compared to a "quality" on-ground course that the development time is similar, but with the online course taking longer. The exact comparison will depend on what is included in the online course (especially if it is media).

Thanks,

Jon

Tanya,

Good points, it will also depend on the type of class and what types of templates (if any) are available to you.

Thanks,

Jon

Good point - it will really depend on what you are developing, and what type of support you have. - Jon

Disagree. The time required to create an online course includes the same time as the onground course, plus the following:
1. We must consider how to use computer technology to support the learning process, then follow up with development of those techniques
2. We must develop the course with the most technologically naive in mind, so extra support is necessary to include, including a treatise on proper netiquette and discussion board behavior
3. We must upload the course content and components into a course platform delivery tool, such as eCollege or Blackboard and this takes additional time.

Good points. I forgot about the proofreading. Also there is the need to check all course components for accuracy and functionality. They must be bug-free as well as typo-free.

This is another issue I left out. Converting handouts to PDF files, or PowerPoint presentations create more time for the developer, although they do save time for the onground instructor. Many onground instructors use online techniques, such as those offered by Blackboard, to provide handouts and links. Students are referred to the site and this saves copying time and helps to keep the course updated in terms of support materials.

Yes and no, how is that for an answer? In-class courses have similar requirements as to items mentioned in this course, plus real interaction with humans. The assignments, media used, etc. can be the same in a classroom. Online courses take a lot of time to administer due to setting up the media, grading requirements and MOST of all staff interference as to class requirements. For example, my school has a 14pp. syllabus with 5pp. of "course objectives". So much for being green!

Heck no!!!

5 years of teaching online has taught me that it is something like a 5:1 or 7:1 ratio in terms or prep time [online hours:on-ground hours]. On-ground courses have the "luxury" of incorporating that extemporaneous element of oratory, that online does not. Also, if a student encounters a dead link, system down, etc, they STOP there and do not move forward [even though they should and need to].

No, No, No, developing QAULITY online courses require much more advance prep work, testing, rehearsing, etc, before they go live vs. on-ground.

My background is in theatrical design, I tour in China, Korea, and Taiwan...you would NEVER open a show without a dress rehearsal and TONS of rehearsal time prior to Friday night 8pm, same concept applies here I think since online does have a "performative" element.

I disagree. I believe that the same amount of work goes into preparing for both platforms.

I agree - but it all depends on what type of support you have. - Jon

Great perspective & example! - Jon

Good example - thanks for sharing! - Jon

Disagree the time is the same or more. Email and communication can make the preparation and presentation more . That is what I have found.

I do not agree at all, in fact it is much more time consuming to develop a course for online. Because you never have a face to face discussion with students, you have to make up for this in clear, comprehensive course materials and presentations.

Sign In to comment