Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mark,

This is correct, it will take longer the first time, but may be more efficient in future terms. Great point!

Jon

I have not designed an on-line course, so I can't speak from experience. However, I would expect that you would need to spend at least as much, probably more, time preparing for an on-line course. You would need to have everything prepared in advance, and everything would need to be extremely organized. When teaching a traditional course, you don't necessarily have to have 100% of the content prepared by day one of the course.

I actually disagree with that stetement. I feel that with any class to make sure it is effective and beneficial, time and effort need to be put forth into writing and preparing for it. Even though with online classes you do not have as much work with delivery in the classroom, you still need to look at what each student is writing and their responses to all of the posts from you and other students. So I feel it can be equally as time consuming, it just depends on who the instructor is and how much time they as individuals are willing to put towards their individual class.

I agree with you Jackie. We spend time preparing power points, in-class activities, hand-outs, engaging methods of delivery for "face to face" classes. Therefore, we should invest at least as much time in designing an on-line course. It might be more, but not necessarily so. We do have to make sure we are thorough and look at the course from all perspectives as Mark said.

Jill,

That's correct, in my experience, it is more work upfront, but can be less in future terms.

Best,

Jon

Absolutely not, if anything it takes more time to develop a quality online course. You can tell almost immediately when an instructor has not given enough time and effort into a class.

The issue is that in the online environment, students need to get all of there info from what an instructor writes, it is not as easy to ask questions. Also we have to remember that we can not see a students expressions to knwo if they maybe confused.

It takes more time to develop an online course. Creating tests and quizzes, for example, with the correct answers to be automatically calculated takes twice as long as onground.

Andrew,

That's right - it will definitely will take more time to develop, but you *might* see efficiencies after you have taught it a few time.

Best,

Jon

Good works.

I think it would take more time to develop an online course. IE
Learning what media would be the best to utilize.
Designing the look and feel of the course.
Making sure all material is well thought-out and easy to understand for students of all levels.
Creating quizzes, exams, and reviewing answers.
Interaction on all material either synchronous or asynchronous chats

I realize the first time of creation of one’s online course would take longer.
As once said
“it will take longer the first time, but may be more efficient in future terms".

(Beta testing)
Lastly maybe test your online course with friends and family of all learning capabilities. Retrieve their feedback.

Good thought on beta testing - at least have someone else (it doesn't have to be a student) look over things with "fresh eyes."

Jon

I believe more time is required to develop an online course because there is no/little wiggle room in the online curriculum. When developing and conducting a stand-up course, one typically builds in discussion time and several alternate ways to explain/explore the same topic. Also, for some instructors, alternate topics may be included as the instructor sees fit and often that is presented in a shoot-from-the-hip style. The online curriculum, because it is asynchronous does not allow for the “I’ll add it if I have time” mentality”, therefore all alternatives must be considered in the design phase which will take longer to develop.

The second factor I see as being more time consuming in online development is, because the instructor is not there to immediately answer questions regarding what the student is seeing; diagrams, video, and all other visual media, it must be detailed to a point that leaves no question in the student’s mind the intention of the visual.

I think thoughtful course development would be equal in both situations

I concur, thanks! - Jon

This time I read all other postings.
Of course it takes an enormous amount of time to prepare an on line course. This is becomes different students are different types of learners. One learner learns through reading, another through listening. Both medias should be available

I think they are equally time consuming. Both formats require quality design and development efforts.

I disagree – in my experience it takes a significantly longer amount of time to create an online course than a face to face course. To create online courses usually requires a significant amount of prep work and more time up front since it all needs to be delivered at once. For a 5 week course it takes me about 40-50 hours to develop entirely whereas a face to face course takes about half that long. Either way I really enjoy doing both and find the opportunity to be creative rewarding and fun!

I very much disagree. I have found from experience that it takes me two to three times as long to develop an online course. I have to not only think about how the interaction, sequence and learning will take place but I also have to develop the presentations and discussion forums.

-Chris

I agree, but I do also feel it is easier the second time a class is offered.

Jon

Great points! - Jon

Sign In to comment