Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I do not agree, I spend just as much time or even more time. Since online students do not have a live instructor to help them when they log on, I often create addition reference guides for them to look at to help them with their projects.

Michele,
Each section may be different as well, so watch your discussion. You may need to improvise along the way!

Shelly Crider

Patti,
Awesome! Students love any extra resource that they receive.

Shelly Crider

I feel it's about the same amount of time. When your developing a course whether it's online or face-to-face you still have to take in consideration the different learning styles of the learners your presenting to.

Veronica,
Different learning styles is a very important part of any class, you are very right.

Shelly Crider

Good Evening,
It has been my experience that developing an online course requires more time because you do not have the luxury to revise and reconstruct assignments as you would in a more traditional setting. You have to take all of the variables such as the different learning styles, and the students technical skills prior to developing the course and you have to create a happy medium.

Deborah Balentine

Mark,
Great suggestion for a safe place where students can practice. Although your post is from 2008 we still run into issues with students not being techno-savvy.

Deborah Balentine

Deborah ,
Even in a traditional classroom, a happy medium is sometimes hard to come by!

Shelly Crider

I disagree. If anything, it would be at least equal. However, I think it may take more time because the designer has to account for the platform and technology being used to create the course. Creating the content may take the same amount of time.

Karen,
Good point. Not all platforms are created equal!

Shelly Crider

I am hoping to agree but I haven't started my online course yet but plan on it within the next six months. I will be more able to answer this question then.

Patricia,
I think you will like them!

Shelly Crider

I diagree. I have personally developed close to 100 online courses (part of my work) and I can assure you it takes longer for online courses because there is significant material prepared as multimedia to help provide students with the information they need, whereas in a ground course, a great deal of this material is prepared for live lectures and not as time-consuming.

Kurt

Kurt,
Then there are times when the multimedia simply does not want to accept what you are giving it to work with!!

Shelly Crider

All things being equal, I would disagree with this statement. Developing course content is the same across platforms. In fact, for me, I had a more difficult time setting up m current online course because I had never taught online previously.

Sarah,
The more you do it, the better you will get at it, but the more technology will keep changing!!

Shelly Crider

I have not began to developing my online course, but so far in the courses I have taken, I will have to change the on ground material to match the online. Opening Pandora's box yet again. That doesn't include changing my books so they can all be ebooks instead of traditional books. Right now it seems to be more time invested then on ground. that could be that we update materials with new editions and books, but information has been in place from the beginning of this institution.

Amy,
I think you will like the development of online classes. Be patient on your first few tries!

Shelly Crider

If there is already a traditional course developed for a course then the time to develop the same course online is less because I will have many materials ready to be re-used.
But, if I have to develop from scratch an on lien course the time may exceed.

First few tries WHAT? How many tries do you get? Oh boy what did I get into. LOL

Sign In to comment