Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jon

I dissagree with this statement.

Actually, I believe that developing a quality online course requires more time than developing the same course for a traditional classroom delivery. Because online students receive most of their information in a way that has limited interaction, developing an online course requires a more careful planning and presentation. If students have difficulty understanding something, they may not be able to get clarification quickly. This makes it imperative for all information to be delivered in an extremely clear manner and thus requires very clear communication.

Rebecca

Jon:

I have developed courses in both venues and spent far more time developing an online course.

Many believe that you can take an "on-ground" class, make minor adjustments, and deliver the same format online. This really is not the case. An on-ground developed course can definitely be a great starting point but really needs to be adjusted to fit the online mold.

Normally, the initial time required to develop an online class is the most time consuming task but once completed and the course is developed... the rewards are fostered in student involvement, satisfaction, and interaction in the course.

Kim

I disagree--to truely develop a quality online course requires a lot more time. Everything you would do in a traditional classroom setting to engage students has to be analyzed in terms of how to engage students in a virtual way that is just as effective as face-to-face experiences. There is a lot more emphasis on getting it right the first time.

I disagree. I believe it takes more time to develop an online course simply because of the need to generate more multimedia content. In a traditional classroom, I can use the instructor PC and projector to show live demonstrations of software use or interact with Internet sites. To duplicate this experience in an online class, videos would need to be developed to replace the use of a PC and projector. The videos would involve screen captures of the software being used and require voiceover audio.

Good points - it really does matter what you are creating, and if you have any assistance! - Jon

Kim,

Great points - Thanks!

Jon

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

I disagree. There are several aspects to designing effective online courses that must be incorporated to make up for the lack of "face to face" communication between student and teacher, and student and student. Considering learner characteristics is vital to keeping students engaged and motivated in an online course. These are just a few considerations that must be made when designing e-courses.

I have had the opportunity to develop for both venues and I would say that online is more time consuming. In the end you in-class plan can be tailored to the audience in which you are delivering. You also have the ability to shift tasks forward or backward in a physical classroom setting that must be more precise in planning for online.

Stephanie,

I agree, there are definitely ways to compensate using tools not available in the classroom.

Jon

John,

Good points - it can be more time consuming, especially the first time.

Best,

Jon

Jon,
It seems to me it can be double the time it takes to place a course online. Even with subject matter experts proofreading we still have to review and tweak. Then once a class is developed after the first quarter or semester is complete I have gone back and refined or even revamped its delivery.

Robin

Disagree. It is much more time-consuming to create an online course. More materials are required in an online course than in a traditional classroom.

I would disagree.

There is an investment of time to see what is actually relevant and would work in an online situation.

There would be more time in prep getting everything prepared for display in an online setting.

While synchronous chats work in real time, asynchronous chats could take place over a much longer period because they are not in real time.

These would be some major factors in term of time invested.

Robin,

Good points - the first time is always the most difficult and time-consuming, but hopefully it gets better from there.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

Correct, it can take more time - especially if there is a high expectation and little support.

Thanks,

Jon

I disagree. I think more thought and time will be needed. In a classroom I can read body language to see understanding or confusion. I can then readjust the structure and content per class. Online you have to think more about all the possible out comes before class starts. More planning would be needed.

I do not agree. In a traditional classroom the instructor can read body language or do some grouping based on ability and level of engagement. Because those nonverbal elements are not there in an online classroom, the instructor has to plan for all contingencies before hand.

In a traditional classroom, an instructor can talk to the class as they write or tell stories to illustrate a point. In an online forum there has to be an effort made to bring visuals that are preplanned that coincide with the lecture material.

Planning for an online course is much more time intensive than its traditional counter.

The time needed to develop an online course is much greater than the time needed to develop a traditional course. This is because it is delivered through the use of electronic technology, which must accommodate both synchronous and asynchronous communication. The computer hardware and software must be designed to allow for a large number of concurrent users. The use of a discussion board is a good example. In a traditional course, the instructor and students are in the same place at the same time and technology is not needed for a discussion to take place. In an online course, asynchronous discussions must allow time for detailed posting and responses. Synchronous discussions must allow for many brief postings and rapid responses in a simulated live conversation, some of which may actually involve live teleconferencing. Course materials are more static and so must be more thoroughly reviewed before being used for a course.

Bill Lembke 03/12/10

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

Sign In to comment