Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello Shelly,
This is definitely a "loaded" question =)

I believe the correct answer is closest to "it depends". Many folks think that "online" means "easier"-- less work for students and less work for faculty. However, this is often farthest from the truth.

We must prepare for each class and the delivery of its content on a session by session basis. What may be "easy" to explain in person may take a creative touch to fully explain "online". Conversely, a lab simulation may be easier to set up and direct each student to (versus setting up a computer lab and workstation for each student).

We should be focused on guiding students to content (and learning?) rather than the "how" of getting there. =)

cheers, mj

Disagree. It should take at least the same amount of time to develop and online course, if not longer. It's a great way to incorporate additional media and hyperlinks, as well as other great educational material.

I think is some cases that this would most certainly not be the case. Mainly due to some of the technology considerations that have to be taken into account for certain courses. I do think on average though, it is a little easier to prepare an online course due to the compressed timeframes (5 weeks to 10 weeks) that many online courses are set up as.

Shelly,

Thanks for the discussion topic. I don't think that developing a quality online course should take any less time than developing the same course for a traditional classroom delivery. In fact, developing an online course may even take longer because an instructor has all of the logistical components of submission, grading, "netiquette," etc. that he or she has to convey to the students. As such, it is likely that developing the syllabus might take longer for an online class, as the descriptions for these particular online activities might take longer than would descriptions in a syllabus for a traditional classroom setting.

-Hannah

Michael,
It depends is a great answer and oh so true!! Each class is a different entity online or face to face.

Shelly Crider

Joshua,
I certainly hope that everyone who creates a class online checks the hyperlinks and looks for errors!

Shelly Crider

Thomas ,
Online classes do span in weeks. The biggest portion of developing a class is reviewing.

Shelly Crider

Hannah,
I like how you mentioned the syllabus as the syllabus if very important for an online class. This helps maintain time management and connect to the objectives of the course.

Shelly Crider

I disagree. I have taught in a traditional classroom setting for 20+ years. I am now considering to include on-line courses as part of our curriculum. My sense (and maybe because it is new to me) is that it will require more time. I will not only have to design the curriculum of the course but I will have to translate in-class experiences to on-line and determine the technology necessary to ensure its delivery. Shelly, do you have experience with both in-class and on-line courses? if so I would love to hear your perspective.

Actually I think it would take longer as you need to take more detail into account as miscommunication can be at a higher % for those who need more information and guidance.

Laurie,
Yes, I have taught in class and online. As with any new term, it is really the students who make the class. In a traditional I have had to redo lesson plans as students were either ahead or behind....same online. The students really drive the class.

Shelly Crider

Abby,
Yes we do have to be extra careful with our written communication. What we think is detailed instructions, may not be for the student.

Shelly Crider

In truth any course whether delivered online or in a traditional setting will require time to develop. Perhaps a traditional course will take less time as it is a familiar modality to most instructors. An online course has to be, to a certain extent, even more engaging than a traditional course and needs to be set up for effective independent learning. Consequently it will, most likely, require more time develop an online course.

I’m not a fan of on-line learning. I truly believe that once we take the actual human contact away from our students, it may hinder them later down the road. Example they may become great on-line learners but when it comes to communication face to face they fall short. I have students who do great on-line but when they come on-ground they have no clue how to handle diversity and communication with real live people.

I don't think one type of course requires less time to prepare for than another. There are a variety of factors that influence the time invested in preparing for a course: the subject matter, the length of the course, University policies, etc. Another factor that comes into play is the learning management system used. Some platforms are more user friendly than others, rendering differences in course preparation times.

Disagree I think it takes more time actually mainly because you need to make it ben more interesting. Students are easily distracted and need to keep in fresh and stimulating. it's not like f2f when you can see that they are actually falling a sleep and can go tap on their shoulders when they start snoring in class.
The more bells and whistles the better and that takes time.

I believe the time to be the same. The difference is the different types of materials that are used the the skill of the teacher with online technology. It would take me longer because I am not a technology native.

I totally agree with you Tanya. There is a huge difference in development vs facilitating. I think this is what many mean when they say that the course is much more time consuming the first time they teach it/put it online. I have certainly found this to be the case. If you really put together the videos, question pools, and additional resources, it takes a tremendous amount of time!

Shlomo,
Good point. Any good course is going to take time!

Shelly Crider

Nanette,
Good point. With more and more companies hiring diverse employees all over the world, it is a must to find a way to communicatie via online.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment