Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Announcements are really a good tool to keep students informed. It refreshes student with new things or acts as a reminder. More importantly, we can add current events that were not part of the syllabus originally.

It takes longer to create online training. You have to consider the type of software you are going to use to screen capture, purchase it, install it, record lessons, edit lessons etc etc. Classroom training I basically walk in, pick up a book and start the class.

I think he was referring to the instructor and not the student. I have taught classes where I was not very prepared or had a lot of experience but, my confidence in my ability to deliver training usually makes up the difference. Confidence in one's ability to deliver training can make up for a lot!

Hi Shelly,

I believe that a considerable amount of time must be placed into developing an online course as we are dealing with students that we are not seeing face-to-face as we would in a traditional class. The material must be constructed in such a way that it will help students to learn but also ensure that they stay focused on the subject matter at hand. It is easy for a student to stray away from school more in the online environment because the instructor is not directly in front of him or her to motivate. The online content should provide information that is interactive and will help the students stay interested. From this perspective, it can take longer to develop this type of content.

Hi Amber,

That's a good point. It is also very important to monitor student success even after the "good" content has been created. What works well for some may not work well for others. Sometimes, we need to make revisions if they will be beneficial to the students.

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree as I have yet to develop either. I work on-line and on-site and the courses are already developed. I suppose if I had to develop an online course, it would take less time due to the fact that technology seems to save much more time. There are online templates and other resources one can use to help with developing a course.

I think it takes longer to produce an online course. You have to be very clear and consice about everything in detail. You don't get the chance to look and see eho might be confused or who doesn't have the tech skills. Everything must be so basic that it takes an enornous amount of time to put it together. You need to have alll your information ready to go and links preared and active. Guest lecturer information has to be converted and any extra info must all be there ahead of time.

Jerrod,
I love a classroom where I see FAQs available! Good job!

Shelly Crider

Daniel,
On ground does give you direct questions. Online tends to have many questions during week one.

Shelly Crider

John,
Definitely be checking the links over and over!

Shelly Crider

Absro,
Good point. Once you have a good class set up, you can review and make small changes for the next time it runs knowing that the basis for the class is set.

Shelly Crider

Absro,
I love the announcement area. I have worked in a class once that had no announcements and it was terrible!

Shelly Crider

Craig,
Not even knowing where are students are coming from hurts as well. Will we have a class full of inner city vs rural? Makes a difference on what we do.

Shelly Crider

Erin,
Clear and concise and almost a mind reader! You have to anticipate the students questions!

Shelly Crider

Mike,
Good point. When we first start off we do spend a lot of time deciding what technical resources we are going to use. Camtasia, ScreenCapture, PowerPoint....so many choices.

Shelly Crider

I do not agree. In some cases preparing an online course may require more time. One reason is that with certain Learning Management Systems (LMS's) you may not be able to alter the structure or content once the course has gone live. So if we run into learning deficiencies that were not expected it can be difficult to modify the approach to a particular student as you might "on the ground".

I think it takes more time to develop an online course than a similar on ground course. Both courses require the same content but an online course may have more challenges to overcome. The availability of student times in an online course are more diverse. Students do not interact in person. A traditional class has face to face time with an instructor where some topics might be easier to explain then in an online environment.

Jeff

no I think a lot of the content has to provided up front through reading and tutorials online...chats and discussion boards etc. In class I can give a lecture that day based off a loose outline I have for myself since I am the resource but online I have to provide materials to the students because I am not their with them physically.

Kyle,
Very good point. Online as well as ground needs to be open to alter the way you present your information.

Shelly Crider

Jeff,
There are times when an online class needs a little more resources for the students.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment