Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I disagree I believe the time invested to develop an online course will take more time. having to make sure all learning activities support what you are teaching. assignments, quizes, exams and making sure to try to fit your students needs

I have developed many ground classes and now online classes so I have some experience in this matter.

I would say it is the opposite. The online course takes much more effort. You can add to the ground class any time during your class preparation for the course. When I am preparing for a ground class I generally find videos or news stories that relate to the course content. For an online course this all needs to be completed in the course design of the content. The same applies for any type of discussion questions.

Chatrione,
Good point. There are times when I jot down notes while I am sitting here watching NCIS!!!

Shelly Crider

John,
It is nice to know that you create quality courses. I have seen courses that have obviously not had enough time given to them!

Shelly Crider

Al,
I love to see a class with current events in them whether videos or news links.

Shelly Crider

Shelly:

I consider cheating a form of stealing; stealing is a crime.

Thanks for your reply.

John

Shelly:

The student is a client who deserves the best service. I place my students at a higher level thatnmyself because I am their servant, teacher and guide in the classroom. Colloquially, this philosophy is known as student-orientation.

Thanks for your fine reply.

John

I have found over the years of teaching online that I spend a significantly greater amount of time managing and engaging in my online courses. It is much more labor intensive in discussion management, student question response and preparation for each week. I think that is a function of the asynchronous nature of the learning platform.

I disagree. The face-to-face interaction in an on-ground course provides a personal experience that cannot be replicated in an online setting. However, in the online setting the goal will be to provide a personalized student experience where the student does not notice the absence of the face-to-face interaction because of the various means by which touch-points are established-email, chats, DQs, etc. Done well, it can make the student feel as though he/she is getting a one-on-one experience even if it is not face-to-face.
Rathin Basu

I disagree with this statement. Online courses take more time to develop. There is a lot that you can add to an in-class course once it is running. Everything has to be done in course development with an online course. There are also a number of things like new content, current events, activities, etc. that you may add to an in-class course as they come up or if a student shows a particular interest. If these are not part of the original design of the online course, it is harder to integrate them later.

No, I would definitely say that there is more time spent before during and after when teaching an online course. There is definitely more work done before the course begins! there is also, I feel, way more communication between the instructor and the student via emails, chats, office hours, and phone calls!

Sincerely,
Marjorie Thrall Moller

Disagree completely. While the content is basically the same, the format, delivery process, creation of evaluations, etc. require much more more time and thought. Understanding of the online environment is essential and also attention to the limits of the LMS used. Not all things in the class can be replicated to the online course with the same success.

More time needs to be invested in an online lecture as there always seems to be less questions and interaction. Plus, because of the nature of the forum, time should be spent explaining concepts more in depth to ensure there is understanding.

I actually think it takes more time to develop an online course. Everything has to be stated precisely, with no room for confusion or misinterpretation. Since you don't necessarily meet with all students, synchronously that is, corrections are often hard to make, and escape some students' attention.

Hello Shelly,

I completely disagree because an online course takes longer time to be developed than on ground course. More effort is needed to develop an online course to replace the absence of the face-to-face interaction that is available in the traditional classes. Completion of designing and developing the online course content is required before offering the course. Editing or modifying its content during its offering is not possible which means that the course needs to be well designed and reviewed before offering it.

Best regards,
Eman

I disagree. The online course needs to mirror the traditional on-ground course content. In addition, the online course preparation includes more development time, as graphics, audio, among other technical contributions must be applied to online course development.

Creating quality online courses is essential in providing students with the best possible learning online environment.

As an instructor, it is our duty to find an answer to a student question. Examples include reviewing the textbook or Internet, if unsure of the answer to the question.

Oh, I definitely disagree. Time invested is not really related to mode of delivery for me. It is more about whether or not I have taught a similar course before.

A totally new course will take tons of time. If however, I have taught the course on ground and then want to teach it online, or vice versa, then time spent will be less.

I believe this was mentioned as part of the Analysis phase of ISD? Lyn

Good point, Tony about the whole course needing to be there on day one online.

When I taught on the ground, I had the general syllabus and flow ready to go day one. If I was giving tests, I could wait until the week before to put them together. I even had more flexibility with lectures and supplemental material on ground.

But it might also depend on where I am teaching online. Some schools want consistency in courses no matter who the instructor is, while others allow instructors to do more of the development themselves. Lyn

Sign In to comment