Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Encouraging Accuracy

What methods have you used with students to instill the importance of following directions?

It works very well when I demo on certain items the wrong way or talk about what could happen if one does not follow directions, and then I also show step the correct way and the outcome of the project.

Walter,

You make a very good point. Seeing what could go wrong and how to correct mistakes is just as valuable - or sometimes more valuable - than seeing a perfect demo or outcome.

Jae Gruber

I do not give my students a copy of the recipe, I make them write down the procedure as they watch me and then have them make a workplan for their production which I check before we head to the kitchen.

Lisa ,

These are excellent ideas. I believe writing down the process helps them remember the technique. Checking their workplan before they enter the kitchen holds the student accountable for planning and preparation. If the student first starts reading the recipe as production begins, confusion ensues and valuable time is wasted.

Jae Gruber

I use rubrics with all of my practicals. The students are required to print out all of the rubrics from off the portal and have the appropriate one with them when taking notes in class on the technique being taught. The rubric is a constant reminder of what the expectations are. If they are meeting the requirements outlined they can be certain to do well. They have no excuse for not knowing what the directions are, it is all there on their rubric.

Sharon,

This is an excellent idea. If the students know your verbal and written standards ahead of time, there are no surprises at the time of grading. Both the student and the instructor benefit from very specific rubrics.

Jae Gruber

I agree with writing down the procedures it is more apt. to stick in there brain. When you write things downit seems to click when you are workong on the project. I myself went to a technicail High School in the Culinary Arts department, and the teahers there did make us write receipes of the board. it is a great idea to do that.

Kim,

There are many studies about the connection between writing things down and the ability to remember specific facts better than memorizing without writing. I think it helps for instructors to read these types of articles and studies so they can explain the benefit of taking notes, rather than ocming from the approach of "because I said so..."

Jae Gruber

I divide my class up into six teams. The first baked good recipe I make myself and then we compare the results of each team with my product which we all made at the same time. Often times this allows us to discuss emulsions, when they break, the results... what happens when you eyeball a measurment etc... and we have the physical result to taste, smell and feel.

Then we get to the second recipe, which all but one team has a single ingredient left out. This allows us to understand, not only how to carefully measure... but also what happens when we forget the salt, the sugar, the eggs, the butter etc... And again we have the physical product to smell, taste, feel and see. Normally the pans get thrown away with the products in the second phase of this assignment.

But it teaches them a great deal.

Barry,

The idea of leaving out one ingredient is excellent! Not only does it underscore the meaning of mise en place and encourage accuracy, but it also gives them a visual of the end result that is not good. Mistakes that are made - on purpose or not - are as much a part of learning as producing a well executed product.

Jae Gruber

The first item we make are chocolate chip cookies. I'll notice that some students are not measuring correctly or following the procedure. Although I explained the importance for this some students want to "prove" me wrong. I say nothing to them but once the cookies are complete - we do a group grading (the students line all their trays up on the table). We as a class look/taste the differences in the cookies. I use this lesson to show that measuring/procedures are important. This is a very good visual conformation to students that "the chef know's what she's talking about" I explain that school is a place to learn and that they learned the value of direction

Cara,

Anytime students have the opportunity to compare and contrast their own work against that of the instructor or those of other students, it enhances their educational experience by broadening their perspective.

Jae Gruber

Even though we use a text book, when I am doing demos I never use the text. I expect the student to follow along and take notes on my preparation/assembly of the product. I will usually make a couple slight modifications to the recipe to make sure that they have followed my instructions. When grading I will always use my criteria-not the book recipe-mine is the standardized recipe in my kitchen.

In the kitchen it is very iportant to understand the value of prioritizing tasks. When doing demos I always follow the prioritizing direction where items that will take longer are started first so by the end of the demo everything falls in place, the next day for the students production lab i make sure to review the order in which things are done to maximize the students potential of succes.

Enrique,

I agree, prioritization is extremely critical! It is so important for instructors to guide students through this process. Some students have never really had to prioritize and have never really been given the organizational guidance to do so.

Jae Gruber

As with many of the responses given I try to encourage the students to have a plan of action. By using their timelines, I tell them to write things down in the order that they should complete the assignments for the day. To put them at ease I tell them that I still use a a timeline of everything that I need to get accomplished. When one item is complete I cross it off. Some students have taken this way of setting themselves up and have told me hoe much easier it is to get things completed.

Van,

It is very beneficial for the students to take their own notes. While the textbook is a helpful guide, it will be the small details that the instructor tells or shows students that will really help them execute the final product.

Jae Gruber

One of my favorite demonstrations is when I show the students what happens when you mix a sponge cake for the correct amount of time, and also what happens when the exact same recipe is mixed too little, as well as one that is over mixed. They can immediately see the difference between the cakes, and it really drives home the point that following directions to the letter is vital for the best results.

It seems the goal may also be accurate note taking. In the industry you may only have a brief moment with the chef to get the instruction regarding a task, the shorthand learned in the class helps create a more valuable assistant to the chef. We use prep lists in that shorthand and post on the white board for the students to reference

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities