Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am borrowing this one! Thanky ou!

Adrian,

I agree that asking students what they will do different or improve upon next time they do the same task, is far better than using a negative approach. Chances are that many students know when they have done something wrong or when something does not turn out right, but they need the instructor to tell or remind them how they could have prevented the error.

Jae Gruber

What a great question. I have emphasized that the combination of concentration (focus) and their cooking skills is a very powerful combination. Without the ability to follow directions all their cooking skills are diminished. The rubric will specify specifics, and can be used during formal or informal evaluation to guide how well we followed direction. It is what will ultimately allow them to keep and progress in their jobs.

Mike,

I think your emphasis on concentration/focus is a good one. How do you gget students to refine that focus?

Jae Gruber

I teach Baking and Pastry Arts, so I explain to the students that as a Pastry Chef I need to rely on consistency. If you come into my bakery one day and fall in love with one of the types of breads or pastries I am selling, that when you come back for it again, you are expecting it to look and taste the same. If it is not the same I will probably lose that client/customer and therefore lose money. Accuracy and consistency are key in culinary arts field.

Russell,

This is an excellent point to share with students. Accuracy and cosistency are the key to repeat business!

Jae Gruber

I give my students a recipe packet at the beginning of every term for reference, but to be able to cook in class, they have to produce handwritten recipes with detailed production. this gives them even more exposure to the material, and usually helps them retain the info a bit better.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities