Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I totally agree with this technique because quite often when you explain why things are done in a certain way students still don't believe a little detail will make a major difference. So by demonstrating wrong vs right they grasp the technique right away.

Brenda,

A very good point! The smallest detail can affect the end result. If students have never seen the particular dish or baked product in the past, they may not know what it is supposed to look like. Visual and taste comparisons of correctly prepared and incorrectly prepared items is helpful.

Jae Gruber

I teach them that while tere are many ways to make some of the recipes I teach. the only one that is correct is the one your chef is showing you and not followong his direction could lead to your firing

Using industry-specific and real life examples as part of our lecture and production of the day and illustrating how directions might have/have not been followed might lead to problem/opportunity. Another method I use while teaching is the cause-effect relating to certain scenarios.

Said,

The cause and effect examples are extremely important! When students understand the "why" behind direction given by the Chef instructor, it makes it much more likely that they will do their best to perform well. Particularly if they realize what problems may occur if they do not follow instructions!

Jae Gruber

Ray,

You make a very good point! There are many ways to do the same thing, but following the direction of your Chef instructor or your Chef employer is always the right thing to do.

Jae Gruber

I make eye contact, ask if they heard the instruction and ask if there are any questions

Valentina,

Do you ask questions and wait for them to answer as well?

Jae Gruber

In order to emphasize the importance of following directions. I take a few extra minutes to discuss rubrics and how they work. In the execution of a recipe, many interpretations are possible.In order to level the playing field and adhere to rubrics students must follow directions on standardized recipes. This highlights the importance and explains to them the why's

This is a culinary school. We read the recipe, demo the recipe, monitor the students while they prepare the recipe and then tast and critique the recipe with them. They are as much a part of the grading and accuracy processs as I am.

I give them a mock following directions quiz. They think this is a real quiz with questions relative to what is beinf taudht. The first sentence on the paper states real entire quiz first. Many students just begin to answer questions. If they had read the questions firts, all they would have to do is put their name on the top of the paper & return it to me. They will really pay attention the next time around

Estella,

This is a great practice. Some instructors do verbally state their expectations, but it is even better if students see and understand the grading rubrics prior to cooking or beginning any type of assignment.

Jae Gruber

Brenda,

I have noticed that other instructors have used that same mock quiz. It definitely underscores the point of following directions!

Jae Gruber

Ward,

What type of rubrics do you use to give the students feedback? How do you adjust your lectures and demos to engage each student? What educational techniques do you use to assist those students who are at different experience levels?

Jae Gruber

In order for recipes to be successful each step must be followed by using accurate measurements and step by step processes in order for it to taste and appear correctly. I have the students rewrite the "directions" and "walk" them through the recipes noting what will occur at each critical point if the directions are not followed through. The results are evident if the directions are not followed correctly when they taste the food that I have demonstrated in front of them and compare it with what they have created.
Project assignments are often shown them via portals and screen projections. The directions for completing the projects are usually written in paragraph form. I use a dry erase board to break the project down into step by step instructions and have them write these out in their notes. Instead of them completing the entire project and then seeing how they did at the end of the project, I break it up so that there are subsections that are worth a certain amount of points. In this manner they understand that they must complete each section correctly by following the directions or they will not be awarded the total points available within each section on their way to gaining the 100% possible points for the entire project. Each time that they complete a subsection they are able to measure how successfully they followed the directions and they see immediate feedback, before they move on to the next subsection.

Eugene,

Great best practices! Very thorough! What is the feedback from the students on this method?

Jae Gruber

Feed back has been slow to come. This particular course is comprised of much more written project requirements compared to previous courses which rely on practicle lab assesment. Most of the projects are not due until the last week of the 6 week term. Afterward they leave to enter the extern program and I do not see them until commencement which only takes place twice per year. The light bulb usually comes on in the last days of the class when they relize that grades are wieghted and just based on points accumulated. The importance of completing step by step processes in written projects becomes apparent. Most of our students at this point in thier career process are only focused on the cooking aspects of what they will be doing out in the "real" world rather than the paperwork portion of managing a business which hopefully they will aspire to later in thier career. So, all in all I don't hear how I have helped until months later.

I usually have my students reflect on their mistakes rather than scold them for it. Understanding steps in the mistakes, explaining why it happened and pulling information from them of steps that they could change next time for a better outcome gets them involved. This helps them understand most of the time why following directions is so important to better their learning outcomes and to instill why this is going to be important in their future career.

Eugene,

I understand your perspective completely. Whether it be a Gneral Education course or a kitchen course, many times learning is in retrospect. Students frequently return from externship or even years after graduation to share with their instructors that "now" they understand the "what, why and how" of course content.

Jae Gruber

I often say' "visualize me banging my head on a wall, because this is hwo I feel when you dont follow these instructions." Odly enough it gets a laugh and those whe were not paying attention want to know why everyone else is laughing.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities