Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Anne,

It is indeed just as important for students to see mistakes, so that they know how to correct it. It is okay for instructors to show their "human" side as well. If instructors are able to make a mistake, move on and correct the mistake it can actually enhance a students positive perception of that instructor.

Jae Gruber

In our Course students are supplied with a text book to utilize, I find that students want to branch out and make changes as they are cooking. As a training exercise I have them watch a demo, then try to reproduce the techniques and procedures they had observed. Ultimately we sit and taste each dish and do a discussion on what they learned most seem to grasp that directions are critical to follow in the kitchen, not so much as a written recipe but how the chef has instructed them to prepare the dish according to their specifications.

I do that when I have them make bread, I purposely will overscale or kill off the yeast and see if they understand what happens if directions are not followed

Joseph,

This is a very important lesson! If a student always sees an ideal outcome, they may have a sense of failure when they make a mistake. Certainly no one wants their students to feel like failures, but rather learn what a product looks like when it is not executed properly and most important, how to make sure that mistake does not happen in the future.

Jae Gruber

As a Baking and Pastry instructor as I demo I explain step by step exactly what I'm doing and why a perfect example is the creaming method. I will make the mix curdle on purpose to show themthe importance of adding liquids in stages.

Joseph,

I believe it is important for students to taste the instructors demo, their own work and the work of other students in a guided discussion format. In this way, they can compare and contrast textures and flavors, rather than simply eating their own food or just "eating to eat", without an associated learning component.

Jae Gruber

When I demo recipes in the Kitchen I like to show them the right steps to make the recipe. But if I can show them what kind of mistakes they might do , helps them even more. For example, I will demo a Hollandaise sauce and the I will break it so they can see what it looks like. I also show them how to fix it. I tell my students all the time, you will make mistakes but it is what you know that will help you fix it.

Although I am a Culinary Instructor, I continue to work in the industry part time so that I can keep up with what is going on in "the real world". I have the opportunity to spend time with, as I tell my students "the hiring chefs" and over and over I hear from them that the major problem with culinary students is that "they do not possess the ability to follow simple instruction". Culinary students want to change everything because they "like it better this way". I let them know that I understand that they are creative and that they are artists but most important when they go work in an established country club, hotel or restaurant they were not hired to change things but to execute the chefs menu and game plan. I let them know they will change no recipes in my class and if they do it will be reflected in their grade. I tell them you do it here you loose a few points but when you do it in the industry you loose your job! To those who chose not to listen I tell them to keep their resume updated!

Sometimes it is just as important to let them make a mistake and then walk them through where the mistake happened.

Gwen,

I completely agree! If the student executes production well every single time, they will never know what happens when they make a mistake or learn a possible "fix" for the situation.

Jae Gruber

Andrew,

Sometimes students do not fully grasp the purpose behind techniques and following directions until they witness a bad outcome. Making the mistake for them, so to speak, in demo can really drive home the point of your instruction.

Jae Gruber

Kristina ,

Other instructors have also mentioned showing mistakes and how to fix those mistakes. It is a wonderful "best practice" as it shows the reasoning behind following directions and the science behind cooking, while still giving a remedy for the occassions when outcomes are not ideal.

Jae Gruber

As an example I take a single formula (recipe) and prepare it using two different techniques or methods to demonstrate that the sequence of directions in preparation can alter the outcome drastically.

I have given the students the recipe with ingredients but no directions and have had them take down directions as i was doing the demo. Then the can write down the sutble things we do as chefs to put a dish together

Nicholas ,

This is a great best practice. Instructors can provide many different perspectives on techniques from the standpoint of class preparation, "holding on the line" preparation, modern interpretation and how something looks and tastes when something goes wrong.

Jae Gruber

jonathan,

This is an excellent idea as it helps the student to be more engaged in the process and responsible for the outcome. Thank you for sharing!

Jae Gruber

one example is with a hollandaise sauce. when students cut corners and the sauce breaks. Not only is that a perfect opportunity to preach follow the recipe, but also, how to fix the broken hollandaise sauce.

There is no doubt that the majority of culinary students love to eat food. With that said, following directions in technique directly effects the outcome of the product. If the student creates errors during the process, the end result is inedible. If the student can't eat the final product they become disappointed. I will evaluate where they went wrong and express the value of following directions. They can try again to suceed and the food is the reward.

I stress the importance of folloing directions from the chef they are working for. Make them come to production with their notes and i ask a student to tell me what the procedure is for the item A they are producing.Then I ask another student if that is correct. Sometimes it takes 2 or more students to describe it properly.

Michael ,

Every short cut that leads to a mistake is, indeed, a teachable moment!

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities