Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Objective vs. Subjective Feedback

Aside from rubric grading, what methods of student feedback have you used to give objective rather than subjective feedback?

I like to point out what he or she does well, what can be improved, and the positive aspects of his or her attitude. The "sandwich" method of evaluation seems to work well. Sometimes a little heart-to-heart is required if greater improvement is needed, but I try to let this person know that I will keep helping.

Paul,

Pointing out the positive first is always a good approach on both an individual basis and with the entire class. People can create positive or negative attention. Those students who want to be the center of attention AND are producing positive results can sometimes be mentors to their classmates.

Jae Gruber

I like to use the the next days lecture for a roundtable discussin on how the day went. Feedback from peers can be a good way to bring up skillsets that need work. I try to make the sudents not be too personal in the feedback given.

Mark,

I definitely think that if the students can provide constructive feedback, that a guided roundtable discussion can be a good exercise. This helps not only in the future execution of production, but also to develop teamwork and leadership skills.

Jae Gruber

I also grade students based on completeness of responses and how closely the content mirrors classroom discussion and work. It reinforces what the students have learned.

Mary,

I agree with you Mary. Completeness of responses is critical. A vague response by a student that is not addressed by the instructor does not help the student recognize the importance of either the subject or clear, thorough information!

Jae Gruber

I like to use peer feedback, wherein students are required to respond to specific components of each other's work. These responses are typically open ended and function to give students a broader perspective on their work. The process of critiquing others also encourages them to view their own work more critically.

Invite other chef/instructors into the evaluation process to give each student individual feedback. In addition, peer evaluation is seeminly less threatening to students.

Stephanie,

Peer feedback, even if anonymous, is extremely helpful as long as it is constructive. It can help students develop critical thinking skills and, as you mentioned, give them renewed perspective on their own performance.

Jae Gruber

Peter,

These are great ideas. Inviting Chefs from the industry in the class to critique a practical exam or even every day production, can be an eye opening experience for students as well!

Jae Gruber

By doing group grading where all students put their plate up together and point out the differences without naming the student who did the plate

Cara,

Group evaluations are so beneficial to the students because they get feedback and perspectives on numerous items, not just their own production. Taking pictures of the production process for discussion purposes can also be very helpful, as it gives a visual of areas that need improvement such as sanitation and organization.

Jae Gruber

When pointing out mistakes have the student taste or acknowledge the flaw in order to find the correct path to improving the dish or task.

During lab I am constantly guiding to positive outcomes, whether positive or corrective. In Catering and Buffet classes we have students/chefs/administration who enjoy the meal also give specific anonymous critiques about the items served. The students are always very anxious about how they did in the eyes of others.

Enrique,

I agree that it is important for the student to talk about the taste or the food or what they would do differently with the dish. Sometimes instructors do the majority of the critique, when in fact, it is important for students to acknowledge their own mistakes and think about what they would do different next time. Instructors can and most certainly should elaborate, but a two way conversation about the product provides the most in-depth analysis.

Jae Gruber

Van,

I think it is very beneficial for students to get feedback from others that are not directly in the classroom, whether it be in the form of a survey form or just other instructors coming in to act as a tasting panel. The more feedback the student receives the better. In addition, outside input can really underscore what the instructor has been conveying to the student during instruction.

Jae Gruber

After discussion and demonstration on concepts of plated desserts I have all the students work on a particular dessert individually and plate it at a certain time together as a group on the same table.
We all join together as a class and the students get to talk about what they liked about other's plates and they can discuss what (if) they didn't like about their own plate and what they would change next time. The students get an opportunity to hear the positive aspects of their work and see how the concept of plated desserts work, and get more ideas from each other, in reference to plated dessert guidelines.

Often , students know what the instructor is going to say about their dish before the instructor has a chance to say it, I encourage students to do their own grading in their station, a kind of pre grade grading, they are always amazed what they find. Basic mistakes like cold plates for hot food and plates dirty on the bottom. also sometimes I will switch with the student and let them sit take my place and I act as the student, very eye opening for them.

Blind tastings of food items prepared by students gives everyone a point of comparison and the ability to identify differences in flavor and technique. This also keeps everyone's work anonymous.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities