Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I will have the class discuss in a group forum the things they thought went right and those things that they could improve upon. It is more readily received from the catering and buffets classes than the early on classes.

I like to have my students tell me what they like about their foor and what they can do to improvement before we have a discussion on their product.

Paul,

When students grade their work, sometimes they are even more critical of their own production than the instructor! They usually know where they went wrong, but the main lesson at that point, is what would they do different the next time? The idea of the student sitting in your place and you acting like the student is fantastic.

Jae Gruber

Brian,

I believe that approach works very well. Students usually know what went right and what went wrong. It's important for them to analyze what they would do different the next time they produce the product, to verify with the instructor that their thinking is correct, and to have the instructor provide additional information that they may not have considered.

Jae Gruber

I think it is important to be realistic about the student's food. They need to understand what went wrong as well as being provided with ways to fix it. It does the student a disservice if they aren't given the feedback of how to fix it and the "why" behind it so they can later teach that concept to someone else.

Verbal feedback is helpful as long as you speak with the student on their level and don't use terms they don't understand. I also feel that demos of areas where the student is struggling helps because they see what I do compared to what they do and see what areas they need to fix.

Megan,

These are excellent points Megan. It is not realistic to expect a student to perform a task (such as fabricating a duck) perfectly the first time. The important points to share with the student is what they did well, what they could differently and also give them feedback on how they got there: Where they organized? Was their sanitation up to par? Did they work well with their bench mates?

Jae Gruber

At the end of my classes, I will have the students bring their finished projects to the front table. Once they are all there, We review each product. We discuss what we like and dislike about each item. We talk about the techniques used. WE talk about which techniques were successful and which were not, and the whys? We discuss what we could have done differently or what challenges were there to hinder us.

I make a clear definition of "restaurant quality" and then have the students critique one another's dishes based on that definition. I have them ask and answer the question, "If this dish was $__.00 on a menu and this is what you received, would you order it agin? Would you be happy with it?"

I have used peer to peer, chef to peer, faculty to peer, and at that moment.

When I see a student doing something incorrect, I will ask them why they choose that manner and mentally walk them through to the correct step.

I have used pictures, blind critiques, student critiques and guest critiques for providing student feedback.

I tend to ask other chefs in the industry to give me feedback on the students dish based upon the industry standard. I do ask the visiting chefs to critique a dish on the cooking methods more so than the flavoring of the dish to focus on the cooking method being graded that day.

With my baking classes I have the students place their finished product, usually just one assignment, on a piece of parchment paper, numbered according to the number of students in class, no names are used. I then as the class to critique each item. I also ask which they would definitely eat and which they wouldn't, it doesn't stop there, the students must then talk about what they liked or disliked. If they comment about what is wrong then they are asked to tell the class what they would have done to prevent the problem. After all is said and done I then will do a critique myself so they can see the good and the bad of their production.

i like that. I too have done the class round table...to give feedback but for them to look, compare & ingauge in what they see

I like at the end of a production day to sit with the class and go over the days production. At that time as a team we go over each plate and break it down to likes and dislikes. What can we do better next time? If we added this herb instead of the one it calls for how do you think it will taste?

Talk to the student when the feedback of a tasting section is not positive about their dishes. Some of them usually take situations like that in a negative way rather than learned from the experience and improve in the area that their were criticized the most.

When I was teaching a Plated Dessert class, I would have all of the students do two plates and make sure they were identical to see if they understood that concept. I also had them taste their own food, especially when it was a
mystery box". This way they see and taste the same thing I am, and I seek their feedback before providing my own.

At the end of the shift, I would have all of the students line up their dishes on one table to see how they compare with one another. Not necessarily comparing them to each other, but rather look for different styles and techniques that their classmates presented, to spark their interest a little more. :)

Brandon,

I believe it is extremely helpful to have chefs from the industry critique student dishes during a mid-term practical exam or even during the class where they are first preparing the dish. It offers the student a well rounded perspective and helps them to realize that the direction given by the instructor is what will be required in "the real world".

Jae Gruber

Warren,

Thank you for sharing this practice. I think this type of critique is very helpful to students. It does not embarrass anyone, increases student awareness and helps students realize what you are looking for when you are doing a critique/grading.

Jae Gruber

Monica,

It is an excellent practice to assess at the end of each day or the next day, as a review. Reflecting on what went well, what could be changed and what is possible is just as critical to learning as the initial task.

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities