Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Wendy, I agree wheel of terminology can also be a great learning strategy. Keep up your good work!

I always explain why we are playing the game and let them know how it will help them to remember the subject material. I always explain why they would want to complete an assignment or why they should want to play a game. It lets them know that we are not just "wasting class time" but rather helping them to understand and remember the information. EXPLAIN EVERYTHING!

I have my students get into equal groups and tell them to create a game useing as many prefixes, suffixes and root words. It is amazing how quick and how talented they can be. They play the game in class usuing volenteers from other groups. The retention is amazing they really get into playing these games and it clicks they get it. It is wonderful to watch.
Often times they involve me. My students all tell me that medical terminology is their favorite class. I really believe its because they take such an active role in their learning.

It's amazing how creative students can be when given the chance. It's great to hear yours is their favorite class.

The Liar's Club games seems like fun, but I would worry about just creating confusion. I try to put myself in the position of the learner and I think this game would confuse me with too many of the wrong things being said.

Since it was a class project, did they get a grade for it? If so, how did you set up the grading scale?

I like the idea of a Jeopardy Themed game. I will have to try that one. I understand that this course is for medical terminology; however, the concept of using a game to assist in learning is something that I use when teaching algebra. The students love the competition and I love that they learn the content! I have the students chose numbers from a bag to determine the groups.

Sandra, active learning is a strategy that can work with algebra.

That's a great idea, I too have the jeopardy program, I am now going to start Med Term for whatever subject we're in. Fantastic! Thank you for bringing it up. :) I really feel this will keep them engaged.

Julie, it is engaging and challenging and will bring out the best in your students.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment