Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging the technology apprehensive student

Computer technology is a great tool to incorporate into lesson plans to make learning more engaging and fun. What techniques or ideas would be best to engage a student who is not computer literate or is apprehensive to embrace technology?

What a great question. As an instructor of adult students I never know what the ages of my students will be. I have had students who come from a different generation and are apprehensive to new technology. With young adult students this is rarely an issue.
With those who are a little leery of utilizing technology I usually have a very frank conversation with the entire class when presenting its use in the class. I talk about the importance of technology in the world in general, but focus on the work force where they will have to be able to use technology. With those that remain defiant I will usually take them into our learning lab and sit with them to show them how to use it, always looking for a way to show them the benefit and connect them to it.

Lisa,

Great question. I find easing into technology works best rather than expecting too much too soon. I find PowerPoint an easy tool to learn and find many students who considered themselves computer illiterate learned how to create presentations in a fairly short amount of time. Using apps such as Google Drive is also a fairly easy process and offers peace of mind when it comes to archiving and submitting projects. Blogs are also a great option- they are very straightforward and a great entry into online collaborative learning.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Students should be required to take a computer introduction course during their first semester. I've been teaching the Intro to Computers class for over twenty years and it has changes significantly over the years. Current students are taught about many of the technologies covered in this education module. Most students carry a cell phone that contains more technology than computers from a few years ago.

Teresa,

I agree with you in the idea that PowerPoint seems to be a fairly easy tool for students who consider themselves to be computer illiterate. I have had a lot of students tell me that they knew nothing about computers, but once I showed them the basics of PowerPoint and how to create a presentation, the same students who felt uncomfortable with computers were now helping other students do what they thought they could not. It was a rewarding sight to see!

I agree that emphasizing the role of technology in the workplace is an effective way of letting students know that their knowledge needs go far beyond the classroom. If they are to survive in the current workforce, even in nontraditional or trade-based industries, they do not have a choice but to become literate or be left behind.

Sign In to comment