Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Incorporating new technologies for teaching methods.

I agree with David Naylor....educators must keep up with new technologies to be able to communicate with their students at the highest level. This will keep students engaged in the subject matter and increase cognitive retention.

Where I teach we are having a problem with technology being a distraction. It seems that our students can’t function without there phones right there. Most of their projects are hands on like engine overhauls and chassis repair. But, often times we find the students distracted by their phones. The also get distracted by you tube when they are supposed to be doing manufacturer videos on the internet.
At any given time we have between 1500 and 2500 students a day on campus and this seems to have become an epidemic. Does any one have a similar problem or any solutions?

John,

I think it is safe to say that this is a constant battle for most of us. I believe that unless students are using their phone for in-class assignment, they should be away and set to vibrate so they are not a distraction for the student and those seated around him. I have never had a student deny my request to put the phone away, but there is a reluctance with some as if the phone is an appendage!

Theresa Schmitt

I think it is a challenge to keep up with how fast technology is changing. It is important for us as educators to keep on top of the new technology that is there now and up and coming. I teach computer graphics classes. I have to be on top of what is new. I am also a mom and my 9 year old is video addicted. There has to be a happy medium between over use for mindless activity and under use for learning. I use video tutorials in my classes, projectors, you tube clips and movies.

Laura,

You make a fantastic point. As educators, we do need to ensure we are not fully relying on videos to function as the teacher and that we are making wise choices when it comes to the technology we integrate into our classrooms.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

students are very knowledgably of their iPhones which they are on constantly when told not to have them on that's why I feel we should go with some of this technology. I think just getting their hands on anything will get them more engaged than a text book. wouldn't be great if instead of giving them text books they get an ipad? Then we might get students who enjoy and want to be in class, to see what they can discover next?

Ms. Schmitt,
I also find it very difficult to keep my students from using their phones while in class. Our institution requires all student to sign a classroom protocol document at the beginning of each new class.Unfortunately instructors still have to remind the students that phones cannot be out during class time. Cell phone use is a concern for many of our externship site, office managers.There have been times that our students have not been hired from their extern sites due to cell phone usage.

Theresa,

Thank you for your thoughtful insight. I agree, cell phone usage in the workplace is very unprofessional unless of course the user is sending work-related text messages or answering business calls. I personally find many people now respond to a text message almost instantly, while emails can go unread for several hours. As a Department Chair, one of my responsibilities is closely monitoring student attendance. If a faculty member forgets to post attendance, a quick text message produces a faster response, so I have to admit, I do access my personal phone during business hours, but for work-related issues.

Now, for a student nearing graduation attempting to make a great first impression at an extern site, I suggest tucking the phone away in the morning and only accessing during designated breaks, out of sight from patients and office administration. I find it extremely unprofessional when I see employees texting or checking their phone on the clock and I would be hesitant to hire an intern/extern if I spot this behavior on-site.

For the purpose of this course, I only suggest cell phone usage in class when students are accessing apps such as PickMeBuzzer, a Jeopardy-like class activity.
http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/app-of-the-week/detailed-instructions-for-using-pickmebuzzer-on-apple-ios-devices/

Cell phones are also useful when students are working alone or in groups are researching a discussion topic. Of course they can take advantage of this situation, but if there is an in-class assignment with a time limit, it is their choice if they do not use that time wisely and choose not to receive credit for the assignment.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Sign In to comment