Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Subject Matter is universal

What information can we as instructor use, to ensure well rounded and constructive feedback

Anthony,
There is a lot of information we can use. I have seen a lot of success with role modeling the behaviors, and then openly discussing situations where those skills can be put into practice.
Philip Campbell

I think that openly discussing issues and student situations help us to teach the skills necessary to allow for constructive feedback. We as instructors should always be willing to listen to the students feedback whether it be good or bad. We grow and our instruction grows with constructive feedback.

puting skills into the practice ensures student's success.

In grad-school we (the class) were informed to ask a colleague(s) to “sit-in” partially (if time allowed) within a lecture or project. This technique can have the 3rd-party evaluator add any constructive criticism based upon their vantage point or current knowledge base. I’ve seen this work on various state and private educational establishments.

KEN,
Another set of eyes always helps.
Philip Campbell

As a culinary arts instructor, I have the students divided into two teams that compete against each other, according to my assessment of their performance. When the exercise is complete I have each team assess the other team's work and give feedback, (which I encourage to not be petty or competitive bias).

I like this approach, with team-based competition (rather than individual). I've been sensitive to evaluations where the individuals could be offended / hurt / or otherwise turned off by the comments of others, but the group concept of pitting one against the other is a good one, and may eliminate that problem.

It has been my experience that when giving criticism it is always best to make three points. The first is a compliment of the students work. Secondly make any critical points you have but do so while using supportive notations. Follow that by adding a final compliment with suggestions on how they can go forward.

Mr. Mundo

Martin,
That is a solid technique. Thanks for sharing and hopefully some will try it out.
Philip Campbell

i have my students, once they feel confident, act as the instructor and help and monitor their peers.

john r.

In my design class we have brainstorming meetings where students give feedback to each other on their concepts for a particular design project. This is during the development phase and I find that students feel more inclined to give honest criticism at this point when things can be changed as opposed to when I have them critique each other's finished project.

Sign In to comment