Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Transformative Learning

What are the advantages to students of using transformative learning methods?

I teach in a learning class and transformative learning has been used for a long time as we work with students who are going to be involved in the intimate details of other people's lives and experiences. A good experience is a Psych course where the students are role playing and the "nurse" gets asked a question by the "patient" that may create some dissonance in how the "nurse" feels and wants to respond to what the response really needs to be in order to be therapeutic. This hopefully will create a deeper understanding of where some people are and that our own biases are often just that - a bias that won't be helpful in the patient care environment

The advantages seem pretty obvious:

1. Students are more involved in their own learning process, which makes them more connected to it on a deeper level. Therefore they will learn more and internalize that learning quicker than with more traditional methods.

2. Because we live in a technological society, utilizing what is around us can potentially carry the learning process into more areas of life. For example, with smart phones, learning can be done actively while not in the classroom.

3. Crowd sourcing is an important part of human interaction and gaining new knowledge. When more minds start to consider and examine problems, the potential outcomes or solutions to those problems expand exponentially. By putting students into groups, they will be able to feed off each other's thoughts and ideas, thus gaining a more palpable and deeper insight into the subjects being taught.

The potential to improve student interest and motivation using transformative learning methods is the key advantage that I see in this approach. The students become personally involved in the learning and teaching process. They have a personal stake and this should result in a greater involvement in the class. They are no longer spectators at the show. The are on the stage and responsible for the success. This should work very well with Adult Learners who want more control of their learning process. It also open the door for them to exercise some intellectual curiosity. So, the benefits I see are:
1) Student Motivation
2) Active student engagement

One advantage of the student using transformative learning is actively being engaged with the student and forcing them to explore and examine the feelings they have about that assignment to gain a better understanding. I think this would be considered a motivating tool for the student in that it would make them "think".

The "Transformative Learning" method yields tremondous learning opportunitiesa for both the student and instructor. It when theory (what was read) pleasantly meets application (the how to).

Immediate advantages:

A) Through synthesis, the students can connect the dots and see the correlation with textbook and application.
B) The relevance of transformative learning prompts the student to personalize this mode of learning by evaluating and recognizing the role his or her beliefs, views and experiences play in the classroom setting.

Understanding Mezirow's (2000) 10-step recurisive process allows instructors to witness a student's progressive role through the learning process. Recognizing that students initially experience a disorientation (because the learning process is basically turned over to them through guidance) and depending on their peers to assist them with gaining knowledge is a big first step. This step is important because the strategy can be transfered to the workplace when a novice employee is learning new techniques and "afraid" to ask. This process should allow students to learn more than just course content- it encourages competence and confidence.

The advantages to students of using transformative learning methods

1. Students are more involved. This method enhances student engagement.

2. Provide opportunity for students to learn from each other.

it actively involves the students in the learning process,and motivates students to persue thier goals. It also tranforms the knopwledge into practical aplication.

If students are involved in there own learning they tend to remember more. It is also good to have them look at life events they have experienced, It paints an even better picture.

My education experiences were driven by assessments and not learning. The most compelling point of transformative learning for me is the ownership of knowledge as the goal instead of passing a test.

Sandra,
That is true and a good practice.
Philip Campbell

The main advantage I see in the transformative learning process is that it produces greater student engagement in the course material. In fact, some students may be able to go beyond the traditional material to explore particular areas of interest to them personally. The instructor could observe this in the e-portfolio and further encourage/reward the student(s). In some cases transformative learning can allow students to proceed at a pace which accomodates them;rather than falling behind the instructor's syllabus or, on the other hand, becoming bored by remaining at concepts that have readily become understood, students can contemplate concepts longer if necessary or move ahead to new material.

different students learn by different styles. transformational learning helps the ones with the disablities like dyslexia etc.

The students become more involved. This is one of my favorite types of learning and what I use often in my classes. I will often ask the student’s questions about what or how the lesson we are working on pertains to them and when they would use the skills. I will call on students randomly to keep them on their toes and more engaged with the lesson.

Ms. Ginell Agnew this is often the way to be more inclusive with the class and the student body. Engaging the student allows the faculty to express the different styles of learning. As well as gaining knowledge into the information not be transformed as it should have been. Creating avenues into the minds of student is what transformative means to me. If a student is visual, audio, hands-on then those styles would be inclusive in the classroom setting.

Students are more involved with their own learning, and can easily use technology to enhance their learning experience.

Billy,
Technology is extremely useful as long as it is not assigned as busy work and the students also feel like they are getting something out of it.
Philip Campbell

I agree; that students learn best at their own pace. Having them form groups with like minded individuals can assist their own learning styles, but it is crucial that all involved participate for the sake of the group and the learning to take place.

Transformative learning methods allow the student to interpret information; creating an understanding for the student. As a result, the student is able to recall and/or interpret the same information into their own words.

Sign In to comment