Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technlogy

It is incrediable, the use of technology today and I do beleive that there are practical uses in today's classroom. Some of the cautions should be carefully considered as if not, these devices can cause major overlap from professinal to social communication.

Robert,
I agree with you that we have to carefully monitor this line. We also need to make sure that the use of technology doesn't overpower the course content.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Despite the marvels of technology, unfortunately human frailty imposes the limitations here. When you see what some folks post on the internet, about themselves, friends etc., it becomes quite apparent that they draw no distinction between publicity and privacy, and with no regard for propriety. I apologize if it sounds harsh but this is a major concern. There is no way I could entrust some individuals with my privacy.
I recall trying to help a student with her laptop some time ago, and the files she had laying around on her desktop did make me feel quite uncomfortable—at the time I simply pretended not to notice them, but frankly I prefer not to deal with such material in the classroom or in my capacity as a teacher.

David,
you make a great point here. I think we have to balance our efforts to reach our students with our own level of comfort & sense of professionalism.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree David. I am a private person by nature and don't have a facebook, etc. account for that reason. I am tech savvy, and savvy enough to know the real dangers of that permanent blurring between personal and private, especially when it comes to students. I have many friends who are teachers who see no problem "friending" students. For me that opens up a part of my life I do not want to share with my students. I have always set a clear boundary with students. I am your teacher and mentor and in that capacity I will give you all I have. However, my personal life is my own; and sometimes knowing too much about a student's personal life can negatively influence the classroom environment.

Summer,
you illustrate the point we are trying to make very well. The decision to engage or not engage with students in the social media environment is completely a personal one. For some instructors it provides a great way to connect with students & be an encouragement & help to them. For others, it blurs those personal lines too much & feel it best to stay removed in that way. Each of us must make the choice that works best for us.

Dr. Ryan Meers

One of the biggest issues I(we) run into is that students just dont know when to put there cellphones,ipods, etc away. During lecture time they are supposed to be paying attention to the material and making notes, instead of playing with electronics. Even with strick rules and punishment they still continue to break rules on useage. Gen Y is the most guilty of breaking the rules on electronics. Even explaining to them that they are being disrespectful when they to this.

I do not even consider it an option to "friend" any student through social networking sites. I can see introducing the concept to business students for example, but it is my opinion that it is just not a smart move to have that interaction between a student and teacher.

Don,
I agree that I think we need to help them realize the level of disrespect this behavior communicates.

Dr. Ryan Meers

This I can see could cause some serious problems for the instructor.If the student becomes unhappy with the instructor,now days they make untruthful claims against the instructor,this could cost him or her undo stress ect...the least interaction off campus the better.

sidney,
I agree that today's instructor must be very careful in this arena.

Dr. Ryan Meers

We should keep in mind also that the negatives we instructors associate with gen-Y may someday become positives. It may not be the technology that is the problem but the immaturity of the user. We as older hopefully more mature, see the device as the enemy/problem but really it is the user that can make it a problem. It is the nature of our business that the majority or our students have not reached a certain level of maturity simply due to their age. It will be interesting to see what this gen becomes as a result of all this texting. We may be pleasantly surprised.

andre,
well put & thank you for reminding us of this important fact.

Dr. Ryan Meers

There is a fine line of when to let them use the lasted technology to aid them and when not to.

It is very important to have a balance of technology in lessons. I give my students a monitored time constraint on their projects that deal with research on the web. Most of my students have smart phones and also use their own computers in class. I can't imagine not incorporating the technology that is available to our students. It is imperative that this is incorporated in each lesson.

I agree...they do sometimes abuse the privilege of being able to use their technology in class so I typically forbid it. I do give them opportunities to engage with it during class, and usually work the technology into a class exercise so they don't get too antsy. I also require that they use and present some of the programs in their coursework.

Communication has and always will be the key to success in life and career. When the GenYers can learn to differentiate between the two will be the first step to adulthood.

Madelyn,
this is a good point. Just today my class was doing some research & a couple of students asked to use their iphones. They did & it was profitable.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Mike,
well said & I completely agree.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The generation y are like fish. How you ask. Like this we seem to want more for less. When you give a fish a little extra line they seem to always run. Usually you lose the fish. My thoughts are if you give into them, they will run and expect more. The answer is be tuff and stand your ground. Giving in shows you are weak and flexible to gen y needs. Remember this generation has very little respect for whom ever is in their way!

Sign In to comment