Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with Don, in years past our tools in class were our ability to take notes and use our mouths for communication but.....
we also knew right from wrong, when we were disruptive and disrespectful not only to the instructor but also the entire class.

This is not always the outcome today.

Richard,
and to me this becomes our opportunity to help teach them these things.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It is very hard to control, harder with a cell phone. When we use computers in class, I have to constantly walk around the room and ask students to please not use personal email and facebook during class research time.

the trouble is keeping them on topic. They are always going off with internet

I agree, We try to use cell phones as an emergency only use. Although I noticed that if I bring up a fact or quote from someone or from a web site, the first thing the students do is grab their phones and Google it to verify the validity. I don't mind this because it proves to the student that I might actually know what I'm talking about. The problem is when they research the quote they then notice they have text messages and proceed to answer them. The other problem is, when presenting information in chapter, I like to ask a relative question to see what they are retaining. Immediatly they grab the phone to get the answer.... Hard to gauge retention...

I try to keep in mind that this generation is great at multi-tasking. They can read their texts and listen to what I am saying at the same time. It's difficult to make them stop using their PDAs during class. It is especially difficult to do that with an online class because you can't see them. My whole class can be gone and I wouldn't know it. Because of this, I find that I tend to repeat things over many times because I'm not sure who was paying attention. So I figure I should just keep repeating the important stuff over and over again in hopes that eventually, they will all get it.

I agree that technology is a wonderful tool, but instructors have to maintain boundaries. Lisa

Lisa,
yes, exactly! We need to be the "leaders" in our classes & set those expectations/boundaries & keep them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

When you explain that they are being disrespectful while they are using their technology when in the middle of lecture or when it is just not the time to do so, like break time, some tend to get an attitude, because we are taking them away from their constant need to be connected to someone. They are losing the human connection in the classroom and how to work professionally in a group or on a team.

Christina,
yes, this is a real issue & unforunately many "adults" in the professional world are a bad example to the younger students in this way.

Dr. Ryan Meers

One of the problems I have encountered withthe use of cell phones in the classroom is their use as a calculator. My students will use them for math problems during an exam and then text the anwers to their classmates. So we have had to ban their use for this purpose.

Amy,
wow, yes this is a great example of how cell phones are so much more than a communication device.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree. I like technology for example texting, and emailing. But I have found that a lot of students are now using text abbreviation in their email. They these email to me and then I let them know that these type of emails are not acceptable. Technology is a great thing I think with a little reinforcement on how it should be use the student will do great with it.

Deidra,
absolutely! We must help them understand appropriateness.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Deidra,
absolutely! We must help them understand appropriateness.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

In the classroom I(we) are in it is all proformance so vary little lecture. At the begining of the class I(we) go over what jobs done on what units and what is required of them to accomplish the task, and i have seen students texting as well as having ear buds in, these students will then take up alot of your time in lab with questions they should know the answers to (had they put away there phones and/or Ipod).

I love Google but have learned it has limitations. As an instructor I have to be able to convey this to the student; I notice that as soon as I state a fact in class, a student may Google that fact to check accuracy. I have to be ready to explain my source and why that source might not be readily available on Google. I wish my school allowed student to do a little internet research on some subjects to help keep them involved on a higher level. They surf all day on their personal devices and I wish we could put it to use in the classroom.

Sign In to comment