Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gen Y Students and Technology

As digital natives how do Gen Y students view technology?

It is a very necessary part of their daily routine...they have a deep need to always feel "connected"..

It is a necessary and expected part of life, not just periodically but 24/7

They always have to have their smart phones with them and are checking on them most of the time. I have banned the use of their phones in my classroom. They are a distraction and can also be used for cheating purposes.

It’s almost an addiction for some students to be playing with them.

Gen Yers view technology as an integral part of daily life. I would say that some Yers define themselves through the technology they use. For some there is an over reliance on personal technology, maybe even addiction, and they suffer withdrawal when separated.

It dominates their lives- every facet of them! They constantly lose their id cards but never their phones!
Although it makes it tough when they don't have a landline and their phones get shut off for lack of payment or they run out of pre-paid minutes. Our school no longer allows any student-instructor interaction on Facebook and that makes it that much harder to track them down. It used to be that if the phone didn't get them, a FB message would. But I feel that's a tool I no longer have in my arsenal when dealing with my youngest students.

Technology is the greatest gift ever and they cannot seem to live without it. Even if it is just one SMS a day, it has to be done.

It is almost like it is a part of their body and daily function. From digital alarms to cell phones. They love and cherish their technology!

It's a part of their life. They don't even view it as technology. It can be as important as owning a car. Some students become disengaged when seperated from the ability to connect with friends and family.

Gen Y views technology as a Necessity. It is Life for them

Technology is expected and necessary interaction.

Gen Y students view technology as an integral part of their lives and as an essential part of their lives. They are used to being able to be in constant contact with family and friends.
Depriving this generation of their devices may result in anxiety and frustration. It would behoove the saavy instructor to integrate technology and use of devices in the classroom, providing that they have the required comfort level with that technology.

They feel it is necessary for everyday living. They feel disconnected with out it.

Sara,
that is an interesting step by your school. I'm curious, what is the reason for that decision? My school encourages it although it is left up to the discretion of individual instructors.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Jeffrey,
you make a great point here, that they don't even view it as technology. We really show our age when refer to these necessary "tools" as technology.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Facebook is too personal. Linked in is professional. Our young students needed the nudge to go to email instead of face book. We had to have a contest to get them to set up an email account at school.

I believe Gen Y views technology as a necessity, being that they have never had to live without it.

It is life there is no life with out tech. If a gen Y student could not use any technology for a month they would break down and get nothing done!

My school does not allow social media engagement between faculty and students as well. There is even a social media policy. Faculty can be fired for engaging on a social network with students. Why? I think for liability reasons and keeping professional boundaries clear.

Sign In to comment