Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

classroom environment

How do you make your classroom environment comfortable? I took ESL classes long time ago to learn English when I came to the US from my origin country. I felt nervous when I was at the classroom...It is important to make students from overseas or who do not speak English feel comfortable when they learn English...it helps them to learn English faster...what do you think?

Hi JungYun,
thank you for your comment. I faced the same situation many years ago. One can make the classroom environment as comfortable as possible by allowing the students feel free to make mistakes while speaking, doing group work or doing a presentation. Creating a word wall, where students can see lots of English writings also helps. Thank you for caring about your students by helping them feel at ease while learning. :-)

Hello JungYun Shin,
I know how important the comfort is to the newly arrived student. I have been in another country for several journeys. Each time, I met people (not in a school) who were gracious, listened to me try to speak the local language, and who helped me to be confident of my growing vocabulary and understanding. Likewise, my family members who are not native to the USA attend schools and colleges in the USA. Sometimes one family member will say, "Oh! My English no good!" I reply to the person that she speaks quite well enough for me, but of course she can always improve a little more. Encouragement about progress is vital.
Thank you for the discussion of classroom environment.
Phil Finch

Hello Phil,
I agree with your statement about creating a comfortable environment for the students. I was that student--the one who needed that comfort zone in which I could express my thoughts without fear of making mistakes. I thank you for recognizing those facts, for that is what is going to help your students achieve success in language fluency.
Thanks again for the discussion. :-)

I am a native of America, so I have never experienced the difficulties you have in the learning environment. However, I was an intensely shy student, and I use that experience when trying to make a more comfortable learning environment for my ELL students. One of my methods to create a comfortable learning environment occurs on day one when I am first meeting the students. In front of the class, I interact with those students who are ELLs in a positive way. I show enthusiasm for their cultural diversity and their courage to learn in the current environment. I express my excitement of the extra depth and insight their background will be able to bring to the class. In addition, I develop a personal rapport with the students so they know I am available for additional assistance if they need it. Do you think, as an ELL yourself, that these are positive ways to create a comfortable learning environment for ELLs?

A comfortabe learning environment is vital to the advancement of all students.

When I was in primary school, my family moved to a Spanish speaking country. The school I attended had teachers of various nationalities. All but one of the teachers made me feel at ease. After 30+ years, the man's face is still drilled into my brain. I had been in the country less than a month and he called to the front of the class, asked me to recite the words of the national anthym of the country we were in (a class assignment). I had taught myself to write the words, but as no one in my house spoke Spanish, I could not pronounce all the words correctly.

I stood in front of my fellow students, scared and shaking. The words were mangled as they came out of my mouth. When I finished, the man yelled at me. He told me I was a disgrace because I could not repeat the words properly. Mortified, I returned to my seat.

I do not recall the resolution. I do know someone "told" on the teacher and my parents came to the school, but I do not remember the details. All I remember clearly was the mortification. From that day forward, I was never intentionally unkind to anyone.

Since the day I became a teacher, I have always gone out of my way to take time to speak with each student in my classes, one on one, as often as possible. No student, child or adult should ever have to go through what I did. Solid communication can bring about many good things in any classroom.

I think we can all find some part of ourselves that makes us different. I have a mentally handicapped brother--and struggled when others made deragatory comments about "retards". That word was extremely hurtful--and only a small number of teachers ever learned why.

Getting to know each student--and what makes them unique--creates an amazing learning environment.

I begin each class with a one-on-one greeting, during our uniform brigade. In addition to checking their appearance for our required uniform codes, I also have a chance to exchange brief pleasantries with each student, and welcome them to the classroom. This process also dramaticly reduces the time I need to learn students' names, another technique for creating a warm classroom environment.

I make my classroom environment comfortable by allowing students to inform me individually if he or she has a language barrier. I also have had an interpreter in the past, which makes tonation of the class at ease.

Vatina,

You become their secret partner they can trust. This also shows you respect them. I am sure they feel how much you care using this secret technique. Do you use mother as classroom aides for your interpreters?

Arlene Muller

Karen;

I agree with you, it is very important for a teach to get to know their students. My first goal is to know each one of my students by name, also I know a lot of people don't like it but I like to play the ice breaker game on the first night of class and I ask all the students to stand and give me their name, why they decided to continue there education, what are there plans after the finish and anything else the would like to share. I usually take notes so I can remember something even if it's little about the student and at some point I bring that back up and it's amazing to see the smile on the student's face when they realize I remembered that. Just somethig I like to do. I also make my students change seats every class and they are not allowed to sit next to the same person they previously sat next to, seems like a lot of work, but this gives them the opportunity to meet other students in the class and maybe learn something from them that they didn't know, I use it as my networking time.

James,
Fantastic, you extend so much effort that I feel it will pay off in the learning process. I also believe in the ice breaker game or games each day for the first week. I use BINGO. Each square is different such as, Find someone who speaks your native language, Find someone with the same birthday month etc. I commend you for having the students change seats. It is hard to learn the student's names in the same seat, however, I think it is an excellent technique to use.

Arlene Muller

I believe that getting to know your students individually is very important. This allows you to make connections with your students while you are teaching different material. I find that when you recognize something that a student has knowledge of that is culture specific to them,it is nice for you to recognize it and make the connection. It makes them feel important and encourages them to open up and share with the rest of the class and creates a comfortable classroom environment.

Linda,

You really managed to express it all in just a few words. "It makes them feel important and encourages them to open up and share with the rest of the class and creates a comfortable classroom environment." This is the basis for all learning no matter the age of the student. I acknowledge your understanding and actions in the classroom.

Arlene Muller

First off the instructor is the one who sets the atmosphere with a smile. Then when speaking a slow calm voice is also a environment that is welcoming. Walking slowly around the room, gives student a 'touchable' seeming environment. They can see your eyes, which is another calming element.

EmmiE,
Excellent, classroom atmosphere is one quality which improves the learning environment. You have found an excellent techniques in creating a calm atmosphere. Removing the stress is extremely important and allows the students to relax and learn.

Arlene Muller

I remind my students that they can always learn something from everyone. On the very first day of class, I introduce myself and then invite the students to share a little bit about themselves. When we discover we have a student from another country, I am very enthusiastic and tell the students that we are so lucky to have him/her with us to learn from. During the block/semester, I'll often ask that student how things are done in their country when we're talking about a particular subject.

Because English Language Learners have special learning needs, I try to incorporate several different teaching techniques within each lesson. For example, I show a PowerPoint so that they can see the written words. I post a new vocabulary "Word of the Day" on the board for all students so that the ELL recognizes he/she isn't the only one learning new vocabulary. We play tactile games for kinesthetic learners and I always include Closed Caption on videos that I show.

I like to break the ice with a new class by going around the room and doing introductions. A simple, Hi my name is,I am from,I am X yrs. young,I like ect...I think it makes a room full of people feel as one.We are all in this together until we graduate so lets help one another as we go along.If any student needs help with the English language it will show at this time by how they speak to the class.

BRUCE,
Good activity. If you want to change it up a bit, you can have the students interview each other and introduce their new friend to the class.

You can also have them change seast every day for one week. They call this person their Study Buddy. They work that day doing assignments
together.

Arlene Muller

Trina,

Oh, I love how you introduce new vocabulary so everyone is learning. Bravo for using games and making it fun!!!

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment