Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would agree with this statement you made. A student with disabilities deserves the same treatment and respect as the rest of the class. They do not need to be treated different and most of them do not want to be treated different. I believe it is a good standard practice to treat all students as equals, if they need additional help with subject matter all that they have to do is ask and the assistance is there for them no matter if they are disabled or not. As an instructor all students should be treated the same no matter what there individual needs are.

Billy,
Hmmm... I am not sure we are using the words to mean the same things. When you say "all students should be treated the same" are you suggesting that they shouldn't be given accommodations (because that WOULDN'T be the same)? If so, I would have to disagree. If, however, you are saying that all students should be given the same respect and assumed to have the same potential -- then I agree wholeheartedly!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have also had hearing impaired students in my class. I did not treat him any different. He seemed to work harder because I was treating him just like any other student. He appreciated the fact I did not single him out and give him special treatment.

George,
You seem to have come to your own realization that students with disabilities are more LIKE every other student than they are different. That's what it is all about!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I completely agree with you on this. Our students who do have a disability of some sort likely already feel different and, if there disability is physical, they are likely treated differently by the majority of people they come in contact with. I'm sure they appreciate just being able to feel like all the other students when they are treated just like one.

Years ago, I saw a cartoon that showed a young woman talking to a classmate in a wheelchair. She asked, "Would you rather be called 'handicapped' or 'disabled'? And the other responded, 'Actually, I'd rather by called Alice." GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree I also have had students that were hearing impaired and they do not want to be treated different. The students seemed to be glad that they were given the same task to do as the other students.

Ronnie,
We would ALL do well to remember that students with disabilities are more LIKE every other student in class than they are different!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment