Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

find that the most difficult soft skill to teach to students is Dependability, specially when it goes to wanting them to do more than required, at least among my students, they love practical classes not theoretical, then they want just to pass can be hard sometimes make them understand that as professionals they need "the whole package" not only practical knowledge.

I also find that students frequently don't want to socialize and that goes against them practicing how to be good team players.

In my opinion, the most difficult soft skill to teach is maintaining a positive attitude. I like to tell positive and uplifting stories to help my students to think positively. I also caution them that if they are finding it difficult to remain positive, they my need to consider the fact that they are not in the right environment; it's okay to move on if you have tried your best and you are still unhappy. The right environment can make all the difference in your attitude and overall happiness.

customer service is difficult to teach, not all students have those skills which makes it hard for them when they start the extern portion of their training.

I find the most difficult skill to teach students at a technical college is to control their emotions and their behavior as a result of them. Many of their past experiences have made it seem imperative that they defend themselves in every way (verbally & sometimes physically) to show strength.

In my program we teach students to go into the medical field and work with all types of supervisory medical professionals and difficult patients. As a medical professional who works in the medical field it seems like common sense to not allow someone else's anger and drama to control how I do my job and my ability to control my emotions and reactions. As hospital & clinic personnel, we encounter stressful situations and difficult patients on a daily basis, we cannot be defined by one situation or let that hinder our jobs and our future. Trying to get that idea across to students is incredibly difficult. We, instructors try to lead by example at the school level. We discuss scenarios & "what would you do" and students role play. We even have guest speakers. My concern is when students get out into their externships and have inappropriate responses and negative interactions with patients in real-life situations. It not only reflects poorly on the student and school but also on that medical office.

Any suggestions for us to train students better in preparation for exhibiting proper workplace soft skills?

In my opinion, the hardest thing to teach is controlling emotions when communicating. Poor verbal and written skills are difficult enough to teach. Controlling emotional responses can make it even more difficult. Also, good verbal and written skills can sometimes be overshadowed by emotional reactions.

I have the same problem with some of my students. They have to write a paper at the end of each module in APA format and they never get it right. I try to get through to them that in our profession it is very important to pay attention to detail. I get through to some who are already that way. But others have a difficult time with it.

I feel that the most difficult soft skill to teach is patience and understanding. I find that most of my students what things right now without having to work for it.

I find that trying to teach dependability to my students is sometimes difficult I find that they feel that being on time for school is not important I try and relate to them that being on time for class and having the right attitude is going to transfer over to the workplace.

Sign In to comment