Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Brittany,
Teamwork scenarios will help to develop those skills that students need to be successful in the workforce.
Philip Campbell

I lead my class by example. As an instructor I am also a facilitator and in that I encourage each student to develop the soft skills needed to be a team player, not only in class, but their future career endeavors.

I see these students come in straight off the street with very few people skills and when they rgaduate the change in workplace behaviors, people skills, and hard skills is truly amazing.

We need to be careful that they are also learning and not just observing some one else learn.

ray,
Good point, we all need a balance when dealing with students.
Philip Campbell

i often divide the students into groups,with one team leader amoung the group this team leader will give instructions to the group and gather respondes to be able to formulate an outline of the task at hand

nydia,
This does help students to develop communication skills for the workplace.
Philip Campbell

I use group work a lot in my classroom. I teach in the medical field so a sense of teamwork needs to be learned if it is not already inherent in my students. My group work tends to be problem solving and asking students what course of action they would take with the patient's best interest in mind. Thye very quickly learn that the best choice migh not always be the most popular one, but if they are coming to that conclusion as a group they are forming a bond over that patient as well.

Michelle,
Keep using the groups. There is a lot they can learn from each other.
Philip Campbell

I agree with teamwork, I am an instructor for allied health. The didactic portion of the course is only part of their grade. The lab component is a team effort to get the job done. We have the students in groups of three role playing, and works out very well.

Donna ,
Teamwork in the class will prepare them for teamwork in the field.
Philip Campbell

I love having my students, as I say come alive in group discussions or projects. For example today, I had them play a learning game where they had to figure out a try of 15 items in a group of 3. There were two teams, the winner was the group that got the most right in the allotted time. They were fully engaged in the activity/game. I also felt in this setting, they would retain their learning.

We Put studi in small groups & tell them to establish a business that requires team work to operate

Andy,
Tasks I groups that you can evaluate will give you good ways to provide feedback.
Philip Campbell

I agree this method works well. When they go into their career they will have to work with a lot of people that are in different posistions. If they choose to work as a team they will be more successful.

I organize my students in groups to perform mock procedures which emphasize the importance of developing good soft skills and developing team building.

michael,
That is a great example of bringing the real world into the classroom.
Philip Campbell

I do a lot of group work. Where they have to share resources and knowledge to help one another succeed.

Brittani,
Keep doing the group work, students hate it, but it is beneficial.
Philip Campbell

I agree with Ronnie but you need to be sure that everyone in the group is participating. You do have those students that will always let others do the work and others who think if they do not do it , it will not get done.

This is a great idea! I am going to try this as a class assignment in some of my design classes. Usually, design students are very protective of their own concepts but in the real world they will have to implement other people's ideas.

Sign In to comment