Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing the Class & Students

What are some of the better methods of handling cellphones in class other than ban them? You mention about walking around by the person and maybe by your present they will quit. You did not go into detail enough.

I actually use the cell phones in class - most have smartphones and I use them as clickers to answer questions in Socrative.  You can also have them use them for backchannel discussions - but this should be monitored.  This way they are using the phones for the class and not for thier personal time.  \

We have a "silence your phone" while in our classes. If a tone of any kind is heard during class, that student is responsible to bring a healthy snack for the entire class when it meets next.  It has worked very well.  Instructors actually walk aroung during the class and if anyone is attending to a phone rather that to the class activity, they must give a brief talk on a pertinent subject at the beginning of the next class.  

@Stmaxx  I am currently finding new ways to implement cell phones into my instructional methods (via quizzes, surveys, etc) rather than trying to ban them.  I believe this is going to ultimately be the best path, seeing as cell phones are a part of student's persona now.

Hello - unfortinately, this method does notalways work! 

Sign In to comment