Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Different styles, the same objective

While it is essential that we instructors must be able to adapt to different styles, we must stick to one objective--quality education for students. Styles must be based on this common goal and not to make our jobs easy. If we don't have a consistent goal, it is going to be a disaster because students compare instructors, and the good ones are always the bad ones for those whose priority is something else.

Quality education can be delivered by instructors utilizing different styles and individual creativity. I agree that this must be our main focus. Student's perception of which instructor is good or bad may not be related to perfect teaching styles. Consistency of expectations in behavior and work ethic of students can set the classroom atmosphere for positive learning for all instructors.

Toni, well stated and a very important topic. The most "Popular" instructors may not always be the most successful. There are many level of measurement of success but learning outcomes needs to be more of a focus within our classrooms. How well students are prepared to move on to higher level courses and meet the challenges of the real world also need to be a focus. This is easier to say than to do but is an important focus for the years to come.

James Jackson

Maria, great topic and one that is discussed with intensity and vigor in most circles I have experienced. The job of an instructor is not easy and there are few paths that can be taken where the job becomes easy. There is value to mastering the skills and learning how to effectively prepare for lesson plans and learning the most recent findings in the research of teaching and learning. If anyone is earning a living as an instructor is their primary focus is the paycheck, there are much easier ways to make a living. We teach because we are fulfilled by the process.

James Jackson

I agree that different teaching styles can be effective as students have individual learning styles as well. Though, consistancy and adherance to the mission of the school it imperative.

Kristen, using different teaching styles in no way suggests being out of compliance with the schools mission. If the school is dictating teaching methodology then you obviously need to follow the guidance of your supervisors but I would find this a shameful practice by any institution.

James Jackson

Sign In to comment