Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Avoiding Instructor Mistakes

No one is perfect, therefore mistakes may occur from time to time. But, I have found that acting professional in your demeanor begets respect as well as being prepared for your class mentally and physically. Also, being organized and having the proper instructional materials ready and following the course syllabus will alleviate many mistakes. From time to time a situation may arise that you haven't dealt with before and you must have the confidence to be able to resolve it.

Hi Donald,
Preparation is key! Professionalism is a must! Cofidence and organization are very important.

Patricia Scales

I have found when I have made a mistake my students are usually don't know and I correct it before they realize it. I have only been teaching since November and it is basically sink or swim. I am honest with my student in my approach to teaching. I never pretend to know everything. No one does.

Hi Chanda,
That's right! I have been teaching for a little over 23 years, and I still do not know it all. Continue to work hard and prepare thoroughly for each lesson. You are going to be fine. It does get easier.

Patricia Scales

I for one believe professionalism is top priority and a tie for close second is knowledge and organization. I have also been teaching since November and have learned a large amount as to the do's and don'ts in instruction. My program supervisor has told me "because you are new you WILL make mistakes some that will embarrass you others that will not even be noticed, as long as you learn from them that is what matters." I keep this in the back of my head every time I stand in front of my class. I have been caught by students with mistakes, and when this happens I turn it into a joke or say the following "just seeing who is paying attention". This normally opens a nice little conversation and then back to the lesson plain.

I have used the technique mentioned in the module about acknowledging the mistake and sharing the correct information. It help enhance the rapport between me and the students. I noticed they felt comfortable engaging in class sessions; by understanding if they pointed out an error or questioned a statement I made they would not be placed in a awkard situation.

Hi Tonja,
We all make mistakes. Own your mistakes, correct them, and move forward.

Patricia Scales

This is a true statement, as I mentioned in one of my previous post -- I have learned that admitting I made a mistake and follow-up with the correct information has actually helped with the rapport I have with students. It demostrates that when a mistake is made it is responsible to take ownership and learn from the mistake. This is a skill that can be used in all aspects of the personal and professional life.

Hi Tonja,
I agree! For some people it is the hardest thing for them to admit that they have made a mistake. Own your mistake, correct it, and move on.

Patricia Scales

As a new instructor I was thrown into a situation without even my own notes to work with! The best advice I got was to take a minute, think it over and then say, "Lets look that up" or to "look it up and we will see if we are on the same page." I was scared to death to make a mistake or to admit it!

Sign In to comment