Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New Instructor Help

I have found that helpful advice from experienced instructors is always helpful when starting out. It is important to find that mentor that has not only good teaching skills but a good rapport with students. You can truly learn a lot from that person. They also become a good resource when dealing with problem students.

Hi Louis,
Absolutely! Take advantage of your seasoned instructors; they are valuable resources. They can help you with almost everything.
Patricia

Louis,
When I was a principal, we designed weekly sharing
sessions between new teachers and experienced teachers. For each session, we discussed a topic selected by the new teachers, a topic they needed to know more about.

Hi Linda,
Super idea! New instructors need as much help as possible, and seasoned instructors are a sure way to help new instructors. I assign my new instructors a mentor for every new course they teach.
Patricia

I agree, Louis. I'd like to point out too that even if you are an experienced instructor but at a new school, it is very helpful to create a rapport with instructors who have been there.

Where I work, we don't have individual offices; we have cubicles. At first, I wasn't so sure how I'd feel about it, but after being part of the team, I like being about to bounce ideas off other faculty and have that bond. In addition, it keep morale high.

Hi Eric,
I concur! You can be an experienced instructor, but at a different institution you have to learn their ways of doing things, and you have to learn the employees as well. Sharing cubicles with instructors in the same office has some advantages such as picking each other's brain, building a relationship, and keeping each other encouraged.
Patricia

Sign In to comment