Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Class management for student success

Why is class management a critical part of educational planning?

Class management is a key element in student success as well as in maintaining organization, promoting student preparation, and helps ensure time and methods of lesson plan content/objectives.

I like to ask students for their input on classroom expectations and rules.(i.e. breaks, preferred way to be acknowledged). This done on the first day of the course helps set up guidelines for students and faculty and creates immediate buy-in.

without good management of the class there could be subjects and questions not addressed in a timely manner leaving the student without a clear understanding of the class given.

Hi Yolanda,
Classroom management is key. Students need an atmosphere that is conducive for effective learning to take place.

Patricia Scales

If the class does not have good class management, there is not control in the classroom and lack of respect for the instructor. There should be a balanced classroom - cell phones should be away and not distracted from other things. Students should be engaged in learning and know the boundaries of the class.

For one thing,you had to have clear path on order to navigate where you are going and share that to the the students and they too will know.Going around the circle will get to nowhere.

Managrment will help control the subject matter and your students any friction as long as you share your goal.

Bottom line is that you stablished your authority as an instrutor and not thier friend.

Hi Nestor,
You are on point! The instructor is the authoritative figure and controls the classrom. As instructors, we need to make sure to produce an environment for effective learning to take place.

Patricia Scales

If there is no management in the class their is not learning in the class. It is critical for classroom management in the classroom because it creates an conducsive learning environment.

Informing the students about my expectations about their behavior in class and their academic grades will help set the standard for the rest of the course.

Class manangment creates a structured enviorment where all willing participants will have the opportunity to learn. If you have one student who disrupts the class then you have a class room management problem.

Hi Diane,

Students need to know what you expect of them and that you will not tolerate their foolishness. We have to set very high standards for our students so that they can rise to their fullest level of expectation in all areas.

Patricia Scales

Some one has to be in charge, by planning your management of each class you help to ensure that you will be in charge not someone else.

Without classroom management the class can quickly lose focus and initiative thereby inihibiting everyones ability to learn. Much like a hive of bees without a queen, communication breaks down and no one is clear about what they should do or how they should behave leading to a chaotic setting which is not condusive to a nurturing learning environment.

Hi Mitchell,
An out of control class creates a big mess. The instructor must be able to control the class and produce and environment for effective learning to take place.

Patricia Scales

I feel that at times instructors turn to 'canned' lessons and straight lectures (with or without a PowerPoint) instead of dealing with all the intricacies of class management and different learning activities.

Positive class management involves getting all students active in the class and focused on learning. Since all the students have something to contribute and since most questions a student has are actually shared with the class as a whole, it is in everyone's best interest for the class to progress professionally and interactively.

Reining in inappropriate behavior increases the respect an instructor has - even if it does not make them 'likable'. That respect will enable students to learn far more than being a 'pal' will.

I can totally agree about the importance of class management! I hate to admit it but in my first few months of teaching I had this happen to me. I didn't have the bounderies in place like I do now. What a learning experience that was for me!

Hi Misty,
You live and learn. Classroom management has to start on Day 1 so that your students know where you stand. Even college students will take advantage of you.

Patricia Scales

If you don't manage the class the student will and nothing will get accomplished. Planning and management is important to keep on track and deliver material.

Having the right environment for all students to learn. Without it the students would not be able to learn.Class management helps to create a good rapport with the students, encourages them to succeed and set high expectations.

Hi Bibi,
Students want to and need to be in an environment for effective learning to take place.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment