Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

common mistakes

bringing home problems to class this is a difficult problem to deal with the damage this causes sometimes can not be undone just think of some of the things that go on at home and look at your students divorce money problems pregancies drugs when you enter into dialog with a student on any of these subjects it can get real nasty real fast

Cecil,
I try to teach my students that a seperation must be made based on personal problems and their education. I make an attempt to instill in my students that in the workplace an employer really does not care about your personal problems. The employer expects you to perform at full level. This concept is very hard for unprofessional folks to comprehend, but it is vitally important to make the seperation. We all have personal issues; it is how you deal with your personal issues.
Patricia

Another thing NOT to do is talk politics or religion. WE all have our opinions but to be honest im better off not knowing these facts nor them knowing mine. If we do disagree it can cause quiet a conflict and sometimes it becomes a barrier Leave it in the car

Hello Marving,
Politics, race, religion, etc., these topics are a no-no in my room. There is a place and a time for everything, and the above mentioned topics should not be talked about at school.
Patricia

Response to Patricia,
I agree that we all may have a bad day or personal problems. Many students bring these to my attention. I give them solutions and tell them we will discuss it further after class. If they have my support many of them will put their issues aside and get on with the class. I also try to create an atmosphere that will bring students moods up. Sharon

Marvin, you are so right. Two things you never discuss are religion and politics. People become very passionate and opinionated and do not want others to change their mind (That is if it is not a political science class). It is ok to disagree but we must all rep-sect each others opinions. Sharon

We all have personal problems, instructors and students. Instructors are supposed to be professional enough to leave them at the door. Students on the other hand, in many cases, are just learning to become professional. They will bring in their personal problems and not realizing, they are turning them into a schooling problems. When I notice that a student is distracted, either by a silent student that is normally not, or an angry student that seems to hate the world overnight, or a student that does not perform well on a test or in lab, I will approach the student asking the type of questions that will start a casual conversation and more often than not, the student will bring up what is bothering them. I care what is happening, yet it is none of my business, but if I can at least learn the type of issue they are dealing with, I may be able to point them in the right direction. Our facility has many departments to help students with housing, financial aid, food, counseling, etc. This has helped many a students stay in school and stay on track. I find that some are too prideful or don't know what resources are available to them.

Hi Thomas,
That word "PRIDE" has gotten students in a lot of trouble. I let my students know at times you must swallow your pride. I remind my students, you are not asking for a handout, just a hand. You are so fortunate to have various departments at your istitution that can help with those things that can prevent students from dropping out of school--every institution needs those type departments.
Patricia

Hi Thomas and Patricia:

I also know that instructor pride can hinder the learning environment just as much as student pride issues. Some of the career schools I teach at have counselors and people that can assist students with housing issues, transportation problems, etc. and I refer students to those that can best assist them whnever possible. I had a student last Fall that needed to move out of her apartment while she broke up with a boyfriend in a bad relationship. I referred her to people on campus that could assist with this serious matter and she continued in the course and is finishing her degree.

I make it a habit to remind students that there are no bad or dumb questions in my class - if you want to know something that is relevant to your learning - ask!

John

Sign In to comment