Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New instructor with difficult students

Will students test a new instructor more than a veteran instructor?

I don't know that they INTENTIONALLY test a new instructor more, but they can usually "tell" who is a veteran instructor. With experience comes confidence, and with confidence comes a relaxed, but controlled, manner of instruction and interaction with the students. Then they realize that the teacher is seasoned and we be in-tune with what's going on in class.

Best advice I received: never show fear. So when I started teaching, I immediately acted like I'd been doing it for a while. In truth: I was shaking. But they didn't know it.

I've had students ask me how long I've been teaching overall, that class, that book, etc. Even if I am new to the course, I usually tell them I'e taught it before, but the text is new to me, so there may be some rough spots. That seems to satisfy most of them.

Hi Vaughan,
Absolutely, and they will test a veteran instructor too, especially if that instructor has a reputation of being able to get over on.

Patricia Scales

I came on board under unusual circumstances as a replacement for a much-loved intructor. Although I had over 5 years of teaching experience before this gig, the students only knew me as "the replacement". They tested me, alright, continually referring to what the other instructor did and what they were allowed to do. I stuck to my guns, firm but caring, explaining my experience and how everybody teaches differently even with similar material, and to embrace people's differences. I asked them to let me know what worked for them and what didn't. We all had adjustments to make. Now, the same students don't compare me to the old instructor anymore, and have really picked up their academic efforts (I'm a little more demanding...lol)! They have turned out to be quite the interesting class.

My first teaching experience, I had one student who would interrupt the class any chance he got to test me and my ability to teach the class. I spoke with him privately after class asking him explaining that his constant interruptions were keeping everyone else from learning the material. After that I didnt have a problem.

I have been instructing for just over 6 months now and was also new to my field of instruction having recenty just graduated from my program. I have at least one difficult student in my class each time a new one begins. I have had the angry, silent and attention seeking "it's all about me" students. I agree with the sentiments expressed about confidence as it really does make a difference. I lacked that at first and it showed leading to the students picking up on it and then I became a target, for lack of a better word. But now I have found my confidence and have control of the classroom. I have managed to gain the respect of my students and they have also gained mine. My students come from all walks of like and I treat them all as equals. I have recently started meeting with all my students once a week to go over any concerns, questions and give them a chance to provide feedback on the class. This gives me a chance to reflect on my instruction and to make sure that ALL my students are also gaining confidence in their skills, understanding the material presented and handle any difficulties among students.

Hi Tara,
You will develop into a fine instructor! You have the right attitude, and with time you are going to be an awesome instuctor. I can tell you want to do well. Take the feedback that your students give you and evaluate yourself so that you can become even more effective, also get with seasoned instuctors; they can give you excellent pointers.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment