Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being patient with our students

If you stay clam and collective it will help students behave appropriately

Hi Leslie,
Patience is a virture for instructors. Students can quickly tell when you are impatient, and it is not good. We have to be there for our students, and for some students it simply takes them longer to grasp concepts.
Patricia

Opening each new class section, with a getting to know you hour. Encouraging students to speak with you, before or after class, about any type of concern and letting them know, they everything said with be kept confidential.

I agree it helps feel more cofident in an open forum

For me it is even more rewarding working with a student a number of times to have them grasp a concept than a student that just naturally is gifted and grasps concepts quickly.

Hi Leslie,
Students will definitely test your patience, but as an instructor we must focus on providing patience to our students. Our students need us, and they are the reason we have our positions as educators.
Patricia

Patience is usually always tested by your students. If you stay calm in any situation, you will diffuse it quicker than becoming upset and out of your character.

I agree with one of the earlier statements about watching the students learn or 'grasp' the concept, even if we've helped them numerous times. I have definitely had some students test my patience, but most times I find they are tryng to find a 'line' not to cross. Testing us. I thoroughly invite my students to talk to me and I encourage general conversation before and after class.

Patience is a BIG part of being an Instructor.
Staying calm...staying professional at all times.
Being able to listen is so important.

All students learn in differant ways. Trying to find what works for each student is the key. You do have to keep trying differant ways till it clicks with them and then you can watch thier confidence grow in themself and that is a good feeling.

Hi David,
I agree! When teaching try utlizing all three different learning methods to capture all students.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment