Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cheating - how do you know when you are sure?

I have on an occasion noticed behavior that I would almost think of as cheating (kind of like the roving eyes, or lingering glances). Should I confront students immediatley, or is it better to wait until the exam is over and compare their answers?

There are two opposing risks here:

1) If cheating did occur and you don't confront it, then you are effectively encouraging the cheater to continue cheating in the future.

2) If you accuse a student of cheating and that student did not actually cheat, then you lose the respect of that student and make it difficult for them to feel comfortable in your class.

I'd much rather err on the side of caution and let a possible cheater get away with it. After all, this is probably not the first time the person has cheated, and ultimately the cheater is the one who is going to benefit or suffer from their own cheating.

One way to reduce the possibility of cheating on a test is to make two different versions, a version A and a version B. The two versions should be equivalent and developed in parallel. So, for example, question 1 on each version would be the same type of question, but the answer for the two versions would be different.

Be sure to label each version of the test prominently at the top or bottom of the first page. At test time, pass out alternating versions of the test to students sitting in a row. This way, when a student's eyes rove either left or right, the only answers he or she will see on an immediate neighbor's paper or screen are for a different version of the test.

I only confront cheating when I am 100% positive it occurred.

Hi Colt,
Great response! You are absolutely right, the only time a student should be confronted about cheating is when you have witnessed cheating to occur or you have concrete evidence. Never accuse a student of cheating, this can be very damaging.
Patricia

When I had a very full classroom and a couple of suspected cheaters, I developed two versions of the test and told them. They knew it was pointless to cheat and never had any more problems.

I always let students know ahead of time that there are two versions of the test if it is objective or written. the problem for me arises in the computer lab when I give application tests. For instance If I give a test on steeing up a letter, or a report, or something else like a newsletter, etc.. Our computer lab c lasses are so booked and the students are on top of each other and it is so east to jus tlook at someones elses monitor and so hard to catch them. Even if there is a different version the concept can be copied. What could I do in this situation? Anyone have any answers?

One suggestion: split the test into two parts with equal time limits. Conduct the test in two time periods.

During the first period, while half the class is taking part 1, alternating students are taking part 2. After the first time limit is up, collect the completed work. Students who completed part 1 during the first period will complete part 2 during the second period and vice versa.

Hi Colt,
Great approach! When you have concrete evidence you know for sure students are cheating. These students need to be reprimanded.
Patricia

Hi Karen,
I fully understand. In this case you just have to do the very best that you can to make sure you are on your feet and moving around while students are testing. I also do not allow my students to pick up their printout from the printer. I pick up the printout and take it to the student.
Patriicia

I also agree with not allowing student to pick up their printouts at the printer. I hand deliver them myself. Sometimes if I have a very good student who gets done first, I will allow them to hand out the remainder of those that come out of the printer. That allows me to keep watching the other students.

Hi Karen,
Super idea to make valuable use of a good student who gets done first. You are right, this allows you to keep a watchful eyes for others. I also have my students turn their printouts face down on their desk until it is truned in.
Patricia

I prefer to deal with it after class. Review the course material and approach the students and test them on their knowledge of the material.

If they fail in answering, I will ask them to do it again.

Yes, Patricia, I have done that too. Since our towers are on top of ther workstations, I can very easily see who is done and who is not if I have students turn their papers face down on top of them due to the contrast of the black and white. Also, it is very easy to see someone reach back up ang grab a test after they are already done.

I would immediately confront the student to stop further situations occurring in your classroom.

Sign In to comment