Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Records

When dealing with Challenging students, weather it is missed assignments, late/absent, or cheating at our school we document it on a Student Advisement Form to monitor and if needed to advise, retrain, or send the student on his way. I any case we record everything going on in the class room and with the students for our records.

Hi Billy,
Documentation is very important. I suggest highly that all situations be documented at institutions. It's a lot of work, but it can serve as a way to protect you and your institution.
Patricia

Billy are there any instances that you feel verbal counseling, that is undocumented, will work? I was thinking about a student who has never been a problem but has this one out of place incident. Do you think that maybe a verbal warning might work? Just playing the devil's advocate on this one.

Absolutely, as long as you make a mental note to your self so you can reference back to it if need be for further counseling.

Hi Billy,
An audit trail is great for improvement in the teaching profession. You can always reference it.
Patricia

Hi Riley,
I've done this before just a verbal counseling undocumented. It worked well. I do let the students know that normally I document incidents, but based on their reputation we are going to talk and not document anything due to the first offense. Most students are really grateful for the undocumented incident, and they are perfect the remainder of their time at the institution.
Patricia

great that you do that. also email your supervisior each time to let him or her know and document as well

Hi Susan,
I have found that email alone serves as a great audit trail. Emails can be life savers.
Patrici

Sign In to comment