Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Angry Students? Problem Students? Why?

I feel that to disarm any possible problem or angry or silent students the best way is to involve every one from day one. Set the guidelines, objectives, policies, procedures and what ever else needs to be covered in your particular class, then ask for input on their opions. This usually gets them thinking with little or no response. Then half way into the course I ask them again to what thier ideas, feeling and thoughts are on the curriculum at this stage of the course. I get alot of input even from the silent students. I ask what can I do better, how can we as a group make the course better, so on and so forth. On the final day I ask them again, so I keep them engaged in the subject matter through the course, ask for possible changes and improvements, what works what doesn't work, and where can we interject something completely new and differant. I find that most angry students get that way because they fell that no one cares or will listen, engage them before they engage you and this disarms them and makes them work with you to find improvements and answers. I know that we can't always get away from some problems but this had worked for me for some time now.

Hi Mark,
Super student involvement! You are really intelligent when it comes to involving the entire class. I like it, you even get the silent students to open up. WAY TO GO!
Patricia

Response to Mark, I agree that the situation needs to handled immediately and directly. Separating problem students to discuss their concerns can help. Getting their input, suggestions for masking the course better will make them feel as if their opinion matters and that they are included in a positive way. Great post, Sharon

My classes demand audience participation--from day 1. Like you, I also discuss the agenda and goals of the course throughout the term. If I sense or see a problem, I will chat with the student when we take a break, or even inquire of his situation from his classmates if he didn't make it in. Everyone takes a turn at the front of the class demonstrating some item during the course--usually several turns. We work together on several projects, sometimes in teams. I believe you are correct when you state anger is generally because they feel left out, or they feel no one respects their thoughts. Dismissal from the class is really the very last resort--I want students to succeed.

Hello Steven,
I too am really good about finding out about my students wherebouts if he or she did not make it to class. Generally, students know or can find out what's going on with each other. I dislike very much having to kick students out of class, simply because they are in school to change their lives for the better.
Patricia

I agree with all of your techniques for responding to angry/problem students. One of the biggest errors many instructors make in these cases is ignoring the student of the situation hoping that it will manage itself. In many cases, this actually gives the student more freedom to cause disruption. I think the best approach is as each of you said, get all the students involved and then identify which students can be possible disruptions for the class. Once these students are identified, the instructor should spend some time trying to figure out what the cause of the students anger/issue is and move forward from there. The key to every situation that involves a problem student it to make sure that the situation isn't ignored.

Hello Jesus,
You are on point. Simply deal with the situation, never ignore the situation and hope that it will resolve itself. Ingoring a situation can certainly make matters worse.
Patricia

That constant evaluation and feedback from students is a great idea. Even Bill O'Reilly enacted that policy after his broadcasts (interactive feedback on his website).

Not only does it help give a voice to all the concerns students have, and let an angry student vent as needed, you can only help to improve the course, and improve as an instructor. Kudos!

Hi Joseph,
It is important for angry students to vent. Some students simply want to be listened to, and as educators, we need to listen to our students.
Patricia

Hi Mark,

Great strategy! I agree wholeheartedly. I think the majority of students really do want to be successful and just need to feel that their instructor actually cares about their opinion. Then there is nothing to defuse. -Jeanne

Yes, I think they want their opinions heard and respected.

Sign In to comment